HP AMS to control fans in truenas?? (Via VM maybe)?

ragametal

Contributor
During my research I found that HP servers can become very noisy when used in with TRUENAS. The reason seems to be that their fans gets stuck at 43% all the time.

Apparently, HP uses their onboard disk controller to obtain the Disk temperatures and use that info to control the fans. But, for some reason, they only do this when their onboard controller is set to “HP RAID” and they use a daemon to monitor the HD temps when the controller is set to “AHCI”.

The daemon is called “Agentless Management Service” (AMS) and, when it is installed, the server lowers the fan speeds to 6% which makes it so much quieter.

The problem i found is that AMS is only available for windows and linux systems, not freebsd. So, i ask, how do people with HP microservers in this forum handle this situation?

Do they just accept the noise as a fact of life? or do they try to install AMS in a linux VM?; if the second, can AMS access the disk data from a VM?

Any help would be appreciated.

ragametal

Contributor
Based on the response i can only assume that HP owners are not active in this forum or they just don't know the answer and just learned to tolerate the fan noise.

It is truly a shame because HP has very nice hardware at a price that the competition cannot touch. On top of that they have 3 years of warranty with on-site support for the first year, which neither Dell nor IXsystems offer. But, it would be a no go for me because of the fan noise.