How to use UNIX permissions with CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broc Seib

Cadet
Out of curiosity, try manually editing your share in /etc/local/smb4.conf, making the following changes to your share config (not the global config):
  • remove "zfsacl" from the "vfs objects" for the share
  • comment out the following: nfs4:* (i.e. all parameters beginning with nfs4), zfsacl:*

We had a similar issue, and removing the zfsacl vfs object solved our problem.

Any chance that these default vfs params will be made optional from the GUI config? I.e. let me have no vfs objects...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
We had a similar issue, and removing the zfsacl vfs object solved our problem.

Any chance that these default vfs params will be made optional from the GUI config? I.e. let me have no vfs objects...
It's very unlikely, but samba only applies the last vfs objects line on a per-share basis in your smb.conf file. This means that adding a share-level auxiliary parameter "vfs objects = zfs_space streams_xattr" through the webgui will be sufficient to disable the zfsacl vfs object.

JohnnyFreeNAS

Dabbler
this may be a stale post but im using the current version of freenas and in my opinion every version of freenas up to the current 9.10 does no know how to set permissions on the file system. the checkboxes for the mode do nothing. any settings you choose ultimalty allow too much access. when inspecting the filesystem i see that the owner and group are the only things updated. I always need to do a chmod -R o-rwx,gu+rwx /path/path otherwise everyone has read access to the files.

U - Owner
G - Group
O - Everyone

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
this may be a stale post but im using the current version of freenas and in my opinion every version of freenas up to the current 9.10 does no know how to set permissions on the file system. the checkboxes for the mode do nothing. any settings you choose ultimalty allow too much access. when inspecting the filesystem i see that the owner and group are the only things updated. I always need to do a chmod -R o-rwx,gu+rwx /path/path otherwise everyone has read access to the files.

U - Owner
G - Group
O - Everyone
That's because when using a Windows dataset the posix permissions are not being used. Windows uses acl's and when combined with zfs it uses zfs acl's. It all works correctly just not always very clear.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.