2 paths to CIFS home folder, both have different permissions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayG30

Contributor
Hello,

I was attempting to upgrade to 9.3 the other day, ran into a compatibility issue with the usb sticks I'm using. So had to go back to 9.2.1.7. However I forgot that there is a bug in this version that causes permissions to go wacky (issue with groupmap). So I ended up redoing permissions. I use Windows ACL (obviously since I'm on Samba4).

The last issue I have is with user home directories. I don't remember how I did it but I had the users home folder show as a CIFS share when they are logged in. The path to that is \\freenas\[username]

The home directories are actually located at \\freenas\home\[username].

If I navigate to both of those paths in Windows and pull up the folder permissions they are different. It looks like the auto created path at \\freenas\[username] is being set with unix permission, while \\freenas\home\[username] is showing windows permissions.

I was able to take control of the \\freenas\home\[username] directories and set permissions. I am not able to do the same with \freenas\[username].

Anyone have any idea?

D

dlavigne

That sounds like a bug. If you're not updated to the latest STABLE, do that first to see if it persists. If so, create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

JayG30

Contributor
Unfortunately until I get another USB drive that will boot 9.3 correctly I won't be upgrading to the latest stable. Was hoping there was some way for me to fix it for the time being.

Do you know what setting makes the \\freenas\[username] cifs share show up? I'm thinking I just might turn that off and allow browsing through the home folder instead for the time being.

It looks to me like the issue is the setting of the home folder in the user account settings. They seem to stick Unix permissions on the share instead of obeying the folders windows permissions.

D

dlavigne

My semi-educated guess is that it's a remnant of the config migration. The interesting bit is whether or not the remnant was before or after the point in the 9.2.1.x series where the windows acls defaults were set and the zfs property on the dataset prevented using or going back to unix perms. There's been additional cifs and homedir fixes since 9.3-RELEASE which may or may not fix this remnant.

JayG30

Contributor
thanks. I probably just make due with the issue. Within a month I should have a new case/MB/CPU setup I'm migrating the pool over to. At which point I should be able to get the latest stable build running and see if the issue persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.