Home directories and shares in FreeNAS using CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordemoniac

Cadet
Hey guys!

I'm fairly new to FreeNAS, but I do have some experience on both Windows and Unix systems.

A couple of questions:

Is it only possible to set permissions on the volumes, and not the shares? I have now set access to root and wheel, and one user is now put in the wheel group. This user is going to administrate the content, adding new media etc. to the share.

How about the other users? Should they just be added without a group or in a random new group? I couldn't see any place to specify "only read" on a certain group, just "others". This is the settings on the volume itself.

For now I have created a group called "Users" which all the users with only read permissions is put in. That way this goes beneath "others" in group. I have disabled read on "others" when regarding single users, so that only the groups are allowed to read.

How about home directories using CIFS? How can I create these? All the users should have their own home directory, which should be private, and preferably invisible for other users. These directories will be used for backup etc.

I have a volume called "/mnt/Data", I would like a folder containing the home directories here. F.ex. "HOME" or "HOMEDIR". Does FreeNAS maybe create one of these itself?

Please help me set this up correctly.

headconnect

Explorer
Not dead, just 'good' questions :) I think there are a lot of threads going on right now concerning CIFS permissions and so forth - I'll be honest enough to say that for my purposes, even though I normally like to have some sort of authentication on my shares at home, I'm sticking with purely guest access to CIFS for the simple reason that I find the UI to finnicky to configure :)

The devs don't seem to focused on this type of issue at the moment (there are more pressing matters I believe) but they'll probably get to it once FreeNAS 8 reaches a higher level of maturity.

Addendum: Just a theory, but shouldn't it be possible to create folders in Windows and set folder permissions there instead of creating seperate shares directly? Haven't tried it myself, but guessing it 'might' work, though will probably not be as secure in segregating access as setting up completely seperate datasets (if it's possible, other OS's would probably disregard those permissions).

gdarino

Cadet
Hey guys!

I'm fairly new to FreeNAS, but I do have some experience on both Windows and Unix systems.

A couple of questions:

Is it only possible to set permissions on the volumes, and not the shares? I have now set access to root and wheel, and one user is now put in the wheel group. This user is going to administrate the content, adding new media etc. to the share.

How about the other users? Should they just be added without a group or in a random new group? I couldn't see any place to specify "only read" on a certain group, just "others". This is the settings on the volume itself.

For now I have created a group called "Users" which all the users with only read permissions is put in. That way this goes beneath "others" in group. I have disabled read on "others" when regarding single users, so that only the groups are allowed to read.

How about home directories using CIFS? How can I create these? All the users should have their own home directory, which should be private, and preferably invisible for other users. These directories will be used for backup etc.

I have a volume called "/mnt/Data", I would like a folder containing the home directories here. F.ex. "HOME" or "HOMEDIR". Does FreeNAS maybe create one of these itself?

Please help me set this up correctly.

Where you able to get this working? I am new to FreeNAS, and NAS configuratin in general. I have a Domain Controller setup with 25 clients for a Non-Profit and I would like to setup home folders as well.

logan54

Explorer
yeap, best question

I am also looking for an adequate solution for the Home directories and also the possibility to store profiles on the Server. If there would also be a kind of central user authentication, FN 8 would be a perfect small/medium office server.
Actually I am trying to upgrade samba to act as a pdc, but have problems with the bsd user permission to create NT machine account for the connected PCs.
Maybe someone else has already experience with it.
also: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?984-FN8-Store-Profiles-User-Authentication

logan54

ProtoSD

MVP
If you look under (on the left side) Services -> CIFS the pop-up has a place where you can setup home directories. The when you add a new user, enter this path (you might need to manually create the subfolder for each user).
You can set permissions on the shares, but the only way I know to do that is from the command line.
You can specify additional Samba parameters by going to Sharing - CIFS Shares and either click on an existing share or adding a new one and then in the pop-up near the bottom under Auxillary settings you can put your settings.

logan54

Explorer
Thanks for the hints

I'll to reach my goals an will report them here.

logan54

Status
Not open for further replies.