how to upgrade firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeo

Cadet
My present FreeNAS version is 7.2. It was installed by my son (tech-savvy) perhaps 2 years ago. I'd like to upgrade to the latest version. When I go to system/firmware in the WebGUI, I get this msg:

404 - Task [] not found
You may not be able to visit this page because of:

an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
a mistyped address
you have no access to this page
The requested resource was not found.
An error has occurred while processing your request.

I downloaded the 8.2 version (an .xz file) but I don't know where to go from here.

Any help would be appreciated.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
There is no direct upgrade path between .7.* (or earlier) and 8.*

What is your volume configuration, and what hardware are you running on?

beeo

Cadet
There is no direct upgrade path between .7.* (or earlier) and 8.*

What is your volume configuration, and what hardware are you running on?

I have 4 x 250 gb WD drives. Platform is i386-embedded on Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.50 GHz.

beeo

Cadet
I just assumed the newest version would have some advantages, not exactly sure what, although I'd thought the WebGUI was supposed to be nicer. When you say, "try to import the volumes", are you suggesting it's a risky procedure?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Sort of, FreeNAS 8 does not support all kinds of soft raid that FreeNAS 0.7 did... 8 is focused in ZFS (which is a lot heavier)...

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
The reason I asked about the volume config is just as William said: only a few specific types of volumes can be imported to FreeNAS 8.x. also, if you have less than two gigs of RAM, then you're below the minimum requirements to run FreeNAS 8.x stably anyway. Around 4 GB is considered a good minimum for installations with UFS volumes. You're probably better off building a new device and then transferring data over (as a rule). If you have sufficient hardware around (or you buy sufficient new hardware), you could even use ZFS and take advantage of all the advanced features that adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.