How to turn off multipath / Usb Drive getting detected as multipath

Status
Not open for further replies.

tris

Cadet
Hi , I am having a problem where some of the usb drives that I attach to one of my Freenas box's is getting detected as multipath disk. I have used gmultipath destroy and the gpart recover to get the disk back , but after a reboot it get's detected as multipath again. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I'm using the same generic usb.3 enclosures's for all 6 of the 3tb drives that get attached for backup. There are always 3 Usb drives attached to the NAS.Please can someone tell me how to just turn off multipath as it is not something that would ever be used on this system.

HP Micro Server
AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64 (fdbe9a0)

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Please show output of `sg_vpd -p di daX` for your USB sticks. I suppose that they have equal device IDs, that confuse FreeNAS. I remember some bug report like that fixed not so long ago. I just don't remember whether it was fixed in 9.2.1.9 or 9.3.

tris

Cadet
Not sure how to use the cmd `sg_vpd -p di daX` but think this is what you looking for , thank you for having a look.

upload_2015-1-15_22-33-24.png

upload_2015-1-15_22-27-36.png

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
That is not enough. Please execute six commands:
sg_vpd -p di da0
sg_vpd -p di -H da0
sg_vpd -p di da1
sg_vpd -p di -H da1
sg_vpd -p di da2
sg_vpd -p di -H da2

tris

Cadet
Hi Sorry for the late response , needed to figure out how to run those commands.Have included the output bellow. I have since updates to FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09) and the problem is still happening.Is there anyway to just disable multipath or add an exclusion for these devices. At the moment I am considering buying new enclosures for the HDD's to solve the problem.

upload_2015-1-18_13-5-20.png

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Those your enclosures violate basic SCSI requirements, returning crap instead of unique device IDs. Throw them away and buy ones that provide real IDs of inserted HDD. Or even better -- buy removable HDD rack and connect HDDs directly via SATA/SAS ports.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yet another example of why USB is horribad.

Status
Not open for further replies.