How to setup volumes at a restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFrank

Cadet
Hello,

I am trying to restore a Freenas installation. There was a problem with de usb so I had to replace it. So far so good, but the by storage ther are no volumes.

Because it is an existing Nas there is still a lot of data on the disks that I don't want to lose. I don't have that much knowledge about it and I am afraid to do something wrong and lose te data on de drives.

Some extra information. I use 4 HDD in the installation. The one that crashed was a FreeNas 7 installation. The new setup is version 8

Can someone please help me to set this up.

snickasaurus

Dabbler
My thoughts...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you will have to temporarily go back to your old version for the time being. When I upgraded from .7 to 8 and attempted to "restore" the volume I previously created it just wouldn't take. I ended up going back a version, transferring to a machine on the network with enough storage space to hold all of the hosted data from my FreeNAS box and then "destroyed" the data on the box and created a new RAID setup then transferred everything back. Remember a LOT of things have changed from .7 to 8!

Now this could have only been an issue with my setup so look around the net carefully for a solid solution before trying anything drastic. It's never a joy to find out someone lost data.

And remember it only takes a few seconds to export a backup config whether it be from FreeNAS .7 or 8. I make them ANY time I change anything even if it's only a check box then a reboot or restart of a service. I have two folders, one containing all of the [.db] files that were exported from FreeNAS .7 as I applied updates or changed configurations. If you do infact make good practice of this you will only have to install FreeNAS to your USB stick and restore the config file and everything will be as it was. No need to setup static IP or anything else fancy/customized. Just get your data off so you can update to 8 and play. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you.

Snickasaurus

ProtoSD

MVP
Dfrank,

Snickasaurus is correct, upgrading from 7 to 8 is unsupported at this time. There are plans for some kind of upgrade/import tool, but right now the focus is on trying to get plugin support implemented and ready for the upcoming 8.21 release. If you had strickly ZFS volumes it might have been a little bit easier to do the upgrade from 7 to 8. I'm not sure exactly what the issues are, only that it's not supported/recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.