New installation, old Volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddyf

Cadet
Hello,
My Freenas USB disk fails to load the OS, I've tried everything to no avail. I decided to get a new one and do a fresh install.
Now, my problem is that I don't have a back up of my configuration and would really hate to lose everything I have on the HDs from the previous installation.
Is there a way to import that HDs without losing the data?
Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why do you expect to need the configuration to get to your data? Why do you fear data loss just from losing your configuration?

These are real and important questions. Your questions make no sense to me, and yet they repeatedly pop up. What system out there actually does this?

pschatz100

Guru
You can do a fresh install of FreeNAS. If you do not have a backup of your configuration that you can restore, then it will be necessary to setup your password, networking, email, etc again. Once you have FreeNAS running again, then you can import your data volume. This is one of the benefits of a system that keeps the OS and data on separate devices.

While you are at it, I would suggest that you use a small SSD for the OS drive. Recent versions of FreeNAS seem to stress the boot device more, and an SSD will be much more reliable.

Some other advice:
1) Post your system specs. That's forum rules and is helpful to others when asking for advice
2) Use search to look for an answer before creating a new thread. This question has been asked many times.

Good luck.

freddyf

Cadet
You can do a fresh install of FreeNAS. If you do not have a backup of your configuration that you can restore, then it will be necessary to setup your password, networking, email, etc again. Once you have FreeNAS running again, then you can import your data volume. This is one of the benefits of a system that keeps the OS and data on separate devices.

While you are at it, I would suggest that you use a small SSD for the OS drive. Recent versions of FreeNAS seem to stress the boot device more, and an SSD will be much more reliable.

Some other advice:
1) Post your system specs. That's forum rules and is helpful to others when asking for advice
2) Use search to look for an answer before creating a new thread. This question has been asked many times.

Good luck.
That's exactly what I did and was able to recover my data.
Thanks for the tip and you are correct I should have searched before posting.
As for the signature, the forum returns a spam error or something like that when I hit the save button. I'll add it after a few posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.