How to setup remote access to the freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacka88

Patron
hi,

I have been trying to set thing up for a while now and can't seem to figure this one out. Im using a Mac if this helps. I setup FTP only selecting Allow Root Login. Port forwarded my router 21 to my freeness ip. The she I try login into it via another computer with a different internet connection. So I selected connect to sever using th other mac typing in ftp://myip:21, it comes up with a user and pass: I have tried using user=root and my user name, with the password I created when setting up freenas. (i beehive it changed the root password when i did this as it was ticked to do so).

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

ALso I want this to be secure, as it will always be on.

anthony

Dabbler
Have you considered using sftp instead? I believe that if you enable ssh you get sftp along with it. It works that way on my system (ftp disabled, ssh enabled).

tmacka88

Patron
awesome I got it working through sftp (SSH). Now how secure is it? and what settings should I use?

Login as Root with password
Allow Password Authentication
Allow TCP Port Forwarding

At the moment I have the second two ticked.
Also how good is compress connections setting. is it worth it or does it stuff files up?

Thanks again guys

G

gcooper

You actually need to port forward ports 20-21 as well as 1024-65535 for reason I don't want to get into here. If you'd like more information on the subject, go ahead and visit http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_ftp_xtra.html. It's a great resource and explains it well.

Ports 20 and 21 are insecure. If you're looking for some degree of security, I'd forward port 22 instead (for ssh). Create a lower privileged user with wheel group access (standard for Unix if you want to get root access via su), disable root password login (we only recommend it for short term logins or secured networks), etc and use a strong password to ensure that you don't get hacked as easily.

That about sums up what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.