How to set up unauthorized access CIFS share of an existing dataset in FreeNAS 9.3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3mmr

Explorer
The manual explains how to set up a new, empty CIFS shared dataset for unauthorized access.

However, I have an already filled up dataset containing approx. 1.4TiB of compressed media files, that I'd like to share over CIFS for unauthorized access.

The dataset's files are all owned by one and the same user&group, user 101 and group 10.

What do I do in FreeNAS to export this dataset for unauthorized access over CIFS?

The dataset is also being shared over NFS v4, and that must be so.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

n3mmr

Explorer
Of course!!!

I do occasionally read the manual first, I wouldn't want to waste anyone else's time, would I??? I learned a long time ago that a good rule is WAEF, RTFM.

But, maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, what I want is open access: any user on the machine mounting the share should be able to read and access all files (unless vetoed explicitly), AND no password should be required for mounting.

Looking at the mount point and immediately below, I see that the permissions prevent access by "others", i e users not in the same group as the owner cannot access the dataset, AND the uid and gid presented is up in the 9-figure range. like 275345667, so not a group or user present in the mounting, client side.

I am NOT into Windows, the only reason for wanting this is that I have media players that could benefit from having the data available as windows shares.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You mentioned the wizard for setting up a new share, but not the section about configuring an existing share. Hence my question. :smile:

This would handle the no password issue. It will be up to you to configure the share for each user who uses the machine (you can't create a share in one user account, and "switch users" in Windows and access the same share without you configuring it for that second user.)

As for the permissions, I'd suggest setting up a new folder and share and compare the permission (use getfacl file-or-foldername)

Also, I think you mean unauthenticated access, not unauthorized access.

Status
Not open for further replies.