How to recover from segmentation fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyToews

Dabbler
FreeNAS 8.3.1.

I had a one second power failure and, due to my idiocy, the NAS was not on a UPS.

Now when I attempt to start the CIFS service I see the following in the log. Research indicates that segmentation fault means the USB drive is corrupted. I do have a spare 16 Gb USB key. I can still log in via the web GUI and I can run the FTP service which shows the ZFS is intact and my files still exist.

I have saved the config file via the Web GUI which is 211 kbytes in size.

Now the problem, to me, is that from Windows 7, I can't see the contents of original USB key. Otherwise I'd make a duplicate USB key boot from the ISO files, copy the config file onto it, power down the NAS, replace the USB key and reboot.

So should I make the bootable USB key, boot my NAS, log in via the Web GUI, upload my saved config file and then reboot and all is well?

Should I use the latest NAS version or should I continue to use 8.3.1?

Thanks, Tony

Jun 17 17:07:42 TTNAS1 notifier: Segmentation fault
Jun 17 17:07:42 TTNAS1 kernel: pid 15006 (pdbedit), uid 0: exited on signal 11
Jun 17 17:07:43 TTNAS1 notifier: dbus not running? (check /var/run/dbus/dbus.pid).
Jun 17 17:07:43 TTNAS1 notifier: Will not 'restart' dbus because dbus_enable is NO.
Jun 17 17:07:43 TTNAS1 notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: Will not 'restart' avahi_daemon because avahi_daemon_enable is NO.
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: OK
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: Removing stale Samba tdb files: done
Jun 17 17:07:44 TTNAS1 notifier: Starting nmbd.
Jun 17 17:07:45 TTNAS1 notifier: Starting smbd.
Jun 17 17:07:46 TTNAS1 kernel: pid 15153 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6

D

dlavigne

So should I make the bootable USB key, boot my NAS, log in via the Web GUI, upload my saved config file and then reboot and all is well?

Yup, assuming it is the boot device that has the issue, which is what it sounds like.

Should I use the latest NAS version or should I continue to use 8.3.1?

8.3.1. Don't complicate the issue by throwing an upgrade into the mix. You can download older versions of FN from http://download.freenas.org/. Once you've recovered your system you can decide if you want to install a newer version, though it is best to test such a leap in versions from either a virtual test environment or on new hardware, in case you were looking for an excuse to buy new hardware :smile:

TonyToews

Dabbler
Which version of 8.3.1 P1, P2 or non? I don't know which is the most recent. I would assume P2 but I don't like making assumptions.

TonyToews

Dabbler
Never mind. I got confused. I see the file dates on P2 are slightly more recent than P1, etc.

TonyToews

Dabbler
So I followed the latest directions to use Win32DiskImager to write the FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64.ISO file to the USB thumb drive. Note that I can't see the contents of the USB thumb drive in Windows 7. I assume this is normal as it will be in a *nix file system. However when I attempt to boot from the USB thumb drive I get the familiar, paraphrased, Can't boot from this device as it is a data disk.

So I looked around for 8.x thumb drive install directions and came across this page https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-embedded-freenas-8-image-under-windows.251/ which mentions physdiskwrite and an .xz file. But how is this process different that using Win32DiskImager.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The reason you got that error is because you didn't select the usb as the boot device in the bios. You need to change the boot order so you actually boot from the usb stick.

TonyToews

Dabbler
No, I very carefully selected the USB thumb drive as the boot device. Two different times. I'm quite used to doing that because, for some unknown reason, that motherboard won't allow me to change the boot order. But then I hardly ever reboot it so that's not a big deal.

D

dlavigne

So I followed the latest directions to use Win32DiskImager to write the FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64.ISO file to the USB thumb drive. Note that I can't see the contents of the USB thumb drive in Windows 7. I assume this is normal as it will be in a *nix file system. However when I attempt to boot from the USB thumb drive I get the familiar, paraphrased, Can't boot from this device as it is a data disk.

So I looked around for 8.x thumb drive install directions and came across this page https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-embedded-freenas-8-image-under-windows.251/ which mentions physdiskwrite and an .xz file. But how is this process different that using Win32DiskImager.

It depends upon which file you downloaded as the 8.x series provided either an .iso or an .xz file. Again, ALWAYS use the instructions for your version of FreeNAS: http://www.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas8.3.0/freenas8.3_guide.html. In this case, refer to either sections 2.3 or 2.4, depending upon which file you downloaded.

TonyToews

Dabbler
dlavigne, Thank you very much. Using the .xz file, etc, etc, restored the settings, reboot and all is well. I'm quite impressed with how easy all that was. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.