How to create jail with old base, e.g. Freenas 11.3?

guermantes

Patron
Hi!
When I add a basejail in the GUI, I can only choose from the four latest versions of Truenas, even though I have several more versions fetched since before. Can I not create jails based on older versions of True/Freenas?

(The idea is to create a jail on an older base so as to be able to install an EOL PHP version (7.2/7.3) and temporarily import some non-functioning Wordpress sites, upgrade the Wordpress versions, and then moving them back to my regular dev environment running php8, and scrap the old jail).

Code:
root@truenas /mnt/TANK/iocage % ls -la download/
total 53
drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel   9 Aug  1 14:31 .
drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  12 Mar  6  2021 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   6 Mar  2  2020 11.3-RELEASE
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   6 Oct  7  2020 11.4-RELEASE
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   5 Dec 20  2021 12.0-RELEASE
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   7 Sep  5  2021 12.2-RELEASE
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   5 Dec 20  2021 12.3-RELEASE
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   6 Aug  1 12:53 13.0-RELEASE
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   6 Aug  1 14:31 13.1-RELEASE

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What you are attempting to do will be extremely difficult. Getting the old jail up and running is the easy part. Getting old packages installed with all the correct dependencies and functioning correctly is going to be the hard part.

To get the jail running you create it from the CLI using iocage of course replacing the jail name and appropriate IP addresses. .

iocage create -name yourjailname -r 11.3-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|your.i.p.address/yournetmask" defaultrouter="your.default.router" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basic-use.html#create-a-jail

guermantes

Patron
Ouch, I'll take your word for it.
If it is likely to be being extremely difficult, then I am likely to bog myself down. I'll try my second option then and manually delete, upload and replace files for a number of sites... Probably better than getting too close to the bog. :smile:
(I kind of thought that there would be the same old pkg versions of php 7.2 available to an older version of FreeBSD, just like before they went EOL and got removed from later versions of FreeBSD.)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just take a snapshot of your jail to intend to mess with before you make any changes to it. If you frag it then just roll back the snapshot and try again. That's how I learned to do some things.