how to creat print server in college network on truenas ?

Nilesh348

Cadet
hello, i teach client and server in college. i already make nas storage for my lab i also want a print server but i am kinda new to truenas os please help me out here is it possible to make print server from truenas ? if so please guild a newbi here

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Out of the box, TrueNAS is just storage. However, you're free to add a print server either via a 1) jail, which is a virtual FreeBSD environment, or via a 2) Linux VM.

If you're already familiar with Linux, option 2 will be easier to implement. The VM won't need a lot of memory or CPU either.

Nilesh348

Cadet
Out of the box, TrueNAS is just storage. However, you're free to add a print server either via a 1) jail, which is a virtual FreeBSD environment, or via a 2) Linux VM.

If you're already familiar with Linux, option 2 will be easier to implement. The VM won't need a lot of memory or CPU either.
1) just use add-ons in truenas or something else i am total new here
2}so create vm LINUX with freenas ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Since you apparently don't know much at all about TrueNAS, why are you trying to solve this problem using TrueNAS? It can likely be done, but it seems you'd do better to try to set this up in an environment with which you're more familiar.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As @Samuel Tai wrote TrueNAS (CORE) supports two different virtualisation methods. The more lightweight one and the one I personally prefer is the FreeBSD jail - there's a separate menu section for jails. Installing CUPS (the standard print server for Unix systems) in a jail is trivial but getting the jail up and running can be a challenge if you are not familiar with TrueNAS and most important the command line on Unix systems.
A jail is a container inside your TrueNAS operating system that can run applications isolated from the NAS itself.

The second method is a full featured virtual machine like e.g. VMware does. There's another menu section for VMs. So you can install Linux or even Windows inside a virtual machine on TrueNAS and then install your print server software (CUPS for Linux, builtin for Windows server) there, if you are more familiar with e.g. Linux than with FreeBSD jails.

In both cases you will have to apply some command line wizardry and know basic Unix and networking concepts. Or buy a Windows server license, but getting Windows to run in a VM on TrueNAS is not trivial, either.

HTH,
Patrick

Last edited:

Nilesh348

Cadet
Since you apparently don't know much at all about TrueNAS, why are you trying to solve this problem using TrueNAS? It can likely be done, but it seems you'd do better to try to set this up in an environment with which you're more familiar.
i am learning basic server setups