No access in home network when Mullvad VPN is running

New-User

Dabbler
Hello,

I have normal Mullvad VPN running on PC, I can print via WLAN, I can access other PCs (Samba shares without password) via home network without problems. However, I cannot access the TrueNAS server, nor can I access the WebGUI. I have to disconnect from Mullvad VPN, only after that I can access the GUI and also access it through the home network.
Is there anything else to set somewhere to make this work? I have set up a Samba share in TrueNAS Core with user and password.

Thanks for the help :smile:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If the VPN connection is set up so that no traffic leaves the machine unless it's going through the VPN, then obviously local network resources will not be available. You'll want to do something like setup an exception for local IPs to not go through the VPN.

New-User

Dabbler
That's what I did, it's called "sharing on the local network" in the Mullvad program. As written, I can also do everything possible in the local network, including access to 2 PCs (Samba share), as well as I can print over the home network without that I have to turn off the VPN. Only with the TrueNAS server I get no connection on the home network, that's the curious thing. For the TrueNAS server, and only for this, I have to disable VPN, otherwise I have absolutely no access, neither to data nor via the WebGUI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As written, I can also do everything possible in the local network,
I missed that detail. My hunch is that they're doing something like whitelisting 192.168.0.0/24, while that specific server of yours in on a different subnet... But that seems like an odd scenario.