How to automount USB drices and SD-cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullcom

Explorer
Hello.

I have serche fore a solution for automount my USB drives and disk i have. But hard to find a good solution. i am prity now in the freebsd world to.
So pleas take it easy with me :p

Why i wont this?
it is simpel, I fixing computers and have usb dock solution connected to my freenas server and i dock some disk in that. and i plugin a SD-card reader for my all SD card and wont this working to. so i get all one the same plays.

i dont understand way this feather allredy in the system?

//Tobias Müllauer

joeschmuck

Old Man
As far as I understand, FreeNAS does not support automounting and you have to mount the devices manually each time. Once you know how to mount the devices manually for each file system type, then you should be fine. Google "freebsd mount ntfs" to mount an NTFS file system, and similar for others. Once you have the command then I'd write them down so they are available for when you need them.

mullcom

Explorer
I now that it not supported. That's why I'm looking for a solution.
I have many disks I dock into a USB dock and a lot of SD card and so on.

I think it is better to look for a solution to this than to do this manualy varge once then it will surely be appreciated by more people who are working with storage and FreeNAS.

There must be, or we can make a script that runs it.

I have seen that udisks and udisks-glue has not been ported to Freebsd yet.
But HAL is supposed Kunnas run.

http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Automounting#Udisks_and_udisks-glue

I have some information about the different.

Have also seen the half-finished script.

Unfortunately, I am no script person, so it hard to do this all by myself.
I hope most of the FreeNAS team sees this and realizes how imported this function.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's not that important to the FreeNAS team. There is no intention as far as I know to have auto-mount in FreeNAS, at least not right now. There are bigger things to attack however if you are able to come up with a solution, post it in the How-To section so everyone who want's it could benefit from it. If you have a plan, post in an appropriate forum with your plan and how you might achieve it. Several folks here will give you advice but you will have to do some of your own work.

For example I think that if you created a script that ran when a device was mounted, it would scan to see what type of file system it was, and then mount it aw R/W with full permissions. If you wanted to change that then a minor adjustment to the script would make it Read Only. I think the first trick is to recognize the device is mounted. One thing that could possibly do that is a command called Wait_On. I've used it before for seeing if a directory changed so you might be able to use it with the /dev directory. When you see a change now you need to find all the differences, or in other words what was just connected. There will be problems I'm sure as you don't want to accidentally remount a drive in use, if that is even possible. Follow my MiniDLNA link in my tag line to see how I used Wait_On.

I hope I've given you some things to think about. I also looked at your link and there isn't much there to go on and it's not FreeBSD either.

Status
Not open for further replies.