How to arrange this bunch of disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

I'm about to redefine my humble NAS/Media/Fileserver and would like to get suggestions regarding how to arrange/split this bunch of disks (all of them inside the same system/case):

SEAGATE SATA 3.5:
8 x 4TB
2 x 2TB
1 x 1TB

1 x 32GB 2.5 SSD

Excluding the obvious choice of the SSD to the OS, how do you arrange the others for data?

Thanks!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi!

I'm about to redefine my humble NAS/Media/Fileserver and would like to get suggestions regarding how to arrange/split this bunch of disks (all of them inside the same system/case):

SEAGATE SATA 3.5:
8 x 4TB
2 x 2TB
1 x 1TB

1 x 32GB 2.5 SSD

Excluding the obvious choice of the SSD to the OS, how do you arrange the others for data?

Thanks!
It's not a good practice to form Vdevs with mixed drives of different capacities, so I would suggest
you take the 8 x 4TB drives and make a RAIDz2 volume/pool out of those.

You should not add any of your remaining drives to that (8 x 4) volume/pool!

You could take the 2 x 2TB drives and make a separate volume/pool in a mirrored configuration
if you need more storage.

I would not recommend the use of the 1TB drive.

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

Thanks for reply.

That's seems a good arrange.

By the way...

(...)
I would not recommend the use of the 1TB drive.

Not even as a standalone, temporary, ephemeral place to "copy and delete" files? Can you explain why?

Thanks.
Regards.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Not even as a standalone, temporary, ephemeral place to "copy and delete" files? Can you explain why?
FreeNAS is all about redundancy. A single drive volume would not provide that, leaving your data
contained on that drive vulnerable to permanent and unrecoverable loss.

zamana

Contributor
Got it!

Thanks.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Got it!

Thanks.
Make sure that once you configure your volumes/pools, that you set up SMART
testing for your all the drives. There are several posts that you can read that explain
how to set up SMART testing, it's a very important part of protecting your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.