how smart is FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedicus

Explorer
So my critical light was on this morning and upon investigation it showed a failed drive, however when I go in and look at the volume that drive is not associated with the volume that the error says. I do have a bunch of blank drives in the server from a secondary build I never got completed. Did FreeNAS just automagically grab one of those after the drive failed and rebuild itself?

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
FreeNAS will not use blank drives. If those drives are added to a volume as spares, they can be used.

pschatz100

Guru
It will be possible to help you better if you will provide a copy of the error message and the details of your build.

Check the forum rules for guidance on what information to post.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
zpool status and smartctl -a /dev/adaX for all drives would be a good start.

Zedicus

Explorer
i got this sorted out. the diskinfo utility is actually usually the most useful. my chassis doesnt have a failed disk light and the order that freenas grabs and labels /dev/da# seems to be random when looking at the chassis. (i am sure it is logical to it, sas address or guid or something, but i have never bothered to actually figure out how it assigns the /dev/da#)

also found a pool that was not doing any smart checks, and of course that is a pool where drive errors were coming from. good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.