How Much CPU Do I Really Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatalley10

Cadet
I have a question here.

Could one have an atom or little quad core running a NAS. and then use there HTPC/steambox... with more cpu... to run the plex server off of. Thus keeping the nas to strictly I/O AND storage and letting other home network pc pick up some slack in the trascoding?

My setup...maybe...
I am thinking of a mini-itx embedded headless NAS, with dual nic's using link aggregation into a smart switch network setup. A separate cashing firewall (headless), and separate HTPC would also compliment and lift load off the nas allowing a less robust nas cpu right?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Please don't necro 4 year old posts.

Yes, you can absolutely use a NAS as a pure NAS and then have something else access the files on it. That's the entire point of a NAS. Plex on another machine is the same as YOU on another machine accessing the files. Except that you might be using NFS and FreeBSD/Linux for the Plex thing.

That some people prefer to run Plex directly on the NAS is merely taking advantage of the abundance of processing power on a modern platform.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Yup, for a while I had Plex running on our HTPC (a Mac mini) with content delivered over NFS. Worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.