How does ClamAV work under TrueNAS?

New-User

Dabbler
Hello,

I have installed TrueNAS-12.0-U6. There I have installed ClamAV in a jail.
But how does it work now that ClamAV searches for viruses on the hard drives? When I copy data via Windows in the pool, often comes a message in Windows, because of virus or Trojan, from ClamAV I have never seen anything.

Here are some screenshots of the settings.

My data is stored on /mnt/Pool/Data.
I use TrueNAS only as a controlled file share in the home network. With other settings or what else there is, I have no idea and I do not need :smile:. The IP address is 192.168.178.97/data/, via this I access the share from the computers.
In ClamAV is a completely different IP address, does that already have something to do with it? Are the links in the settings of ClamAV that the plugin in the data share searches for viruses and Trojans?

Thanks for the help, here now following the screenshots of the settings.

00-ClamAV-01.png
00-ClamAV-02.png
00-ClamAV-03.png
00-ClamAV-04.png
00-ClamAV-05.png
00-ClamAV-06.png

New-User

Dabbler
What is exact message from Windows?
I took a screenshot of the history in Windows.
00-ClamAV-07.png

However, I also play many many GB from my laptop with Debian Linux to the server, there is no antivirus running, so all viruses and trojans would be copied.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

New-User

Dabbler
Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll leave that alone then. Since one must have studied so that one comes with it clearly...

I had previously installed OpenMediaVault, there was also ClamAV, but the setup there was totally simple. OMV did not run properly on the computer, which is why I switched to TrueNAS.

Then I run a scanner from "outside", either from Windows, or from Debian Linux. That's easier than all the setup there.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll leave that alone then. Since one must have studied so that one comes with it clearly...

I had previously installed OpenMediaVault, there was also ClamAV, but the setup there was totally simple. OMV did not run properly on the computer, which is why I switched to TrueNAS.

Then I run a scanner from "outside", either from Windows, or from Debian Linux. That's easier than all the setup there.

ClamAV doesn't scan xattr contents for malware. This is I think a fundamental problem for "scanning" SMB shares.

marcevan

Patron
I'm not a System Admin, so getting me to install ClamAV and having to edit, edit, install, etc is not what I do.

There are so many opinions on this board from condescending "perhaps TrueNAS is not the right system for you" to "Only use the GUI" so I will only be using plugins that install and I can then go to the IP address and handle. But to each there own; I won't diminish anyone who can and wants to use plugins like ClamAV that require more than just a one button install.