How do you guys backup your data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPhreak

Contributor
What I'm really interested to know is how most people backup their data. Do you have two separate zpools (one backing up the other)? Do you have two VDevs within the same zpool(one VDev backing up the other)? Is it unwise to have your data and backup zpools/VDevs in the same physical box?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you have two VDevs within the same zpools (one VDev backing up the other)?

You have no clue what you are talking about when you say that.

And considering that you've CREATED 10 threads in less than a month, do you not do your own research and just expect everyone else to do it for you?

JimPhreak

Contributor
You have no clue what you are talking about when you say that.

And considering that you've CREATED 10 threads in less than a month, do you not do your own research and just expect everyone else to do it for you?

I've read through your Powerpoint 3 times but I guess I missed something. I haven't fully read through the manual yet as I planned to sit down this weekend and really give that a good read through as I start to plan things out logically.

"Always keep in mind the possible need to expand in the future. Will you want to add more drives later, buy bigger drives to replace your current drives or will you want to build a more modern system."

This is what I'm taking into account and why I'm asking a lot of questions. I was just hoping to get an idea of what others have done so that I do things properly the first time through. I have 10 3TB drives and am trying to decide between creating one 8 drive zpool (with 2 spares) or creating a 6 drive zpool and buying 2-4 more for a backup. From what I've ready you can't increase/decrease the size of your Vdevs once they are created.

Btw if there are other resources other than the manual and your powerpoint that I should be reading I'd do so eagerly.

EDIT: "If any VDev in a zpool fails, thenalldata in the zpool is unavailable."

Man I don't know how I missed that. Ok so since you need to have separate zpools is it not advisable to have them in the same physical node?

gpsguy

Try a Google search

- site:forums.freenas.org backup

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should be reading the manual before you start making lots of duplicate threads of topics that have been discussed.. to death... many times a month. It is, after all, in the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up that you WOULD check the manual, FAQ, search the forums, etc.

JimPhreak

Contributor
You should be reading the manual before you start making lots of duplicate threads of topics that have been discussed.. to death... many times a month. It is, after all, in the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up that you WOULD check the manual, FAQ, search the forums, etc.

Understood. I'll read the manual and stop posting to avoid aggregating you any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.