How do you get Plex in Docker to see a data set?

Droz

Dabbler
Right. So...

I've been testing Truenas Scale and not really having a great time of it. Documentation is so varied and out of date. Lots of youtube videos out there. But nothing that's current either and the how to's I see don't show the exact same thing as what I see.

My biggest issue is getting Plex to see the dataset structure I want to use.

My goal is to have a pool "storage" with a dataset "videos". Said dataset is also an SMB share so that I can add files and edit directory structure as needed.

Everything I've read or watched makes it seem like you can just browse your whole directory structure and add whatever directory you want into your library. Or whoever is making the documentation/video is just using whatever directory structure is in the container. Something along the lines of /var/lib/yadda yadda yadda

I would really like to not have to rework how I work just to make things work within Truenas. Because honestly, its a little ass backwards and I find it really frustrating to have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get something to work that is really simple to do in MacOS and Windows.

How do I get Plex to see /mnt/Storage/Videos with read/write permissions?

I am happy document this process for Truenas Scale and publish it so that there is current documentation for everyone.

Thanks

LarsR

Guru
When editing your plex app you can add additional storage with a hostpath.
You basically link a folder inside the app to a dataset on the host.

Depending on which way you installed plex you need to set up different permissions.
For the launch docker and official plex app, plex requires to create a user with GUID 1000 called plex (i think it was 1000)
The truecharts app automatically creates the user and permissions it requires to run (user 568).

If you also want to use that dataset for smb you have to manually add the user you want to connect with to the smb permissions.

Here's a screenshot of how the hostpath setup looks for my plex deployment:
I'm using the truecharts app.
Hostpath.JPG

/mnt/Filme is the Dataset on my host and /Media is the folder inside plex.