How do you export a pool containing datasets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
During the process of helping someone rename their pool, I discovered you can't export a pool containing datasets from the GUI or the command line. From the GUI I get 'The Volume Failed To Export', and from the command line I get something like mountpoint in use. What I realized is that each dataset is a sub-mountpoint of the main pool, so that explains the 'in use' error at the command line. What I also discovered was that when I 'cd'd to the mountpoint/dataset all of my data appeared to be missing. After a slight panic, I did a reboot and datasets/data were ok.

So my question is, is there a proper way to export a pool with datasets or is it just not working correctly?:confused:

I'm using 8.01 beta-4, AMD64, raidz2, with 9 datasets.

ProtoSD

MVP
Well to sort of answer my own question.... From the command line you can do a 'zpool export -f pool' and that works, but then you run into the same problem you have with version 8.0 where if you rename your pool outside of the GUI, the database is out of sync. Since the export from the GUI fails, there's no way to clear the old name from the database except for a 'factory reset' and re-entering your settings by hand, or do some 'sql magic' at the command line.

I've opened a ticket for it in case anyone wants to add to it or follow up on it. https://support.freenas.org/ticket/623

Status
Not open for further replies.