How do I configure a jail's logging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickt

Contributor
Hi,

I've got a jail going on my FreeNAS box - it's working very nicely. One thing I'd like to do, though, is to have the jail write its syslogs to a separate file to the main FreeNAS syslogs. At the moment, it appears that the jail writes its syslog to the same /var/log/messages file as the main FreeNAS syslogs - and I'm not too sure how it does that, given that I thought jails were meant to be isolated from the main server.

Reason I'd like to do this is that the syslog console viewer in the GUI is displaying jail log messages merged in with FreeNAS messages. I'd prefer that I only see the FreeNAS messages in the GUI, as I consider the jail less important. I don't mind having to resort to the command line to find the jail logs.

Can anyone help me with how I should configure the jail so that it dumps its syslogs somewhere else?

Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The /var/log/messages in your jails is not the same as the /var/log/messages in the FreeNAS.

The /var/log/messages in your jails is actually /mnt/$POOLNAME/$jailsroot/var/log/messages when viewed from the FreeNAS appliance's CLI.

So what I am saying is, I think you already have what you are asking for.

nickt

Contributor
Well that's what I would have expected, but the thing I don't get is that /var/log/messages contains a mix of server logs and jails logs. So I'm a bit confused as to what's going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.