How Cloud Sync Tasks really work?

arthurnn

Cadet
I am new to truenas and zfs. Running truenas scale, but not relevant to the question here.

I am wondering how Cloud Sync tasks really work?
- Is it coupled with snapshots at all? I understand it will not use replication, as the cloud provider does not know about zfs, however I wonder if it will use the latest snapshots and sync those files? for instance, I take a snapshot, I delete a file, sync starts. What happens? would it respect the last snapshot, or current state of the world?
- Is it smart on renames? if I rename a folder, would it know and do a cheap operation, or would it delete a upload (SYNC)?
- on restores, can I restore a single file? does it upload versions to files? or is this more of a feature/question to the cloud provider?

thanks

ChrisRJ

Wizard

elorimer

Contributor

danb35

Hall of Famer
How did you determine that?

The apparent assumption--and I think it's a reasonable one, though I'm not certain it's correct--is that SCALE and CORE use the same software for cloud sync, with the same configuration. SCALE and CORE do both use rclone. I'd be surprised if it were using different configuration options, but I don't know for sure.

sretalla