How can I see individual file information in a FreeNAS volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After many years of having no decent backup plan (and, thankfully, not needing one), I've built a FreeNAS server, with resources shared to a mostly-Windows LAN. So far, I've defined 2 volumes ("PC1backup" and "PC2backup"), with corresponding SMB shares, in the ZFSPOOL. FreeNAS and the shares are not visible in the Windows "Network" list, but I've mapped them to the "This PC" list via \\IP\sharename (I think that's a Windows problem.). I anticipate adding more similar volumes for backing up other gadgets -- I'm trying to treat FreeNAS as my local cloud.

My PC backup program (Macrium Reflect) seems to be backing things up as desired. Both FreeNAS and Reflect agree that there's about 160 GB of backup data now stored in the PC1backup volume; Reflect names its data with weird Reflect names for grandfather, father, and son backups.

But I can't see any signs of those data anywhere. I would expect to see individual data (files, sets, whatever they're called) beneath the volumes in the storage display hierarchy, but it's not there. I've looked in the FreeNAS user manual, as well as manuals for the BASH shell, FreeBSD, and ZFS, but have gotten nowhere.

Please forgive my newbie ignorance; any help will be appreciated.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You're not going to see individual files in the GUI. Only volumes/datasets.

You're going to want to open up your "shell", then if you
Code:
cd /mnt
, you should see your main pools. If you then "cd" into those directories, you should start seeing files.

You will probably want to read some primer on basic UNIX navigation if you want to be able to see your files browsing around the server itself.

You beat me by 39 minutes :). Finally figured it out; slowly getting into the *IX frame of mind. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.