How can an end-user install ZeroTier on TrueNAS Scale?

victorhooi

Contributor
Hi,

I read that ZeroTier has been removed from being included in the default FreeNAS, due to some licensing issues with including it by default:

However, is there some way for end-users to install ZeroTier on TrueNAS Scale? And will it be persistent between reboots?

Thanks,
Victor

victorhooi

Contributor
Right - but how will that give it access to the TrueNAS host itself?

Use case is using ZeroTier to remotely administer the box (i.e. get access to the TrueNAS Scale webUI), as well as mount SMB shares remotely.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Malistavus

Cadet
I tested this today on the latest SCALE Alpha build. I just installed zerotier via the shell. I confirmed that it does successfully start when the machine is rebooted. I used the first debian command to install found via this link and I used the CLI commands found here to join it to my zerotier network. I have confirmed that the TrueNAS web UI is reachable via the IP address assigned to it via zerotier, however I have not tested anything further (rsync, replication, etc). I hope this helps.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I tested this today on the latest SCALE Alpha build. I just installed zerotier via the shell. I confirmed that it does successfully start when the machine is rebooted. I used the first debian command to install found via this link and I used the CLI commands found here to join it to my zerotier network. I have confirmed that the TrueNAS web UI is reachable via the IP address assigned to it via zerotier, however I have not tested anything further (rsync, replication, etc). I hope this helps.

The challenge will be when a TrueNAS software update is done.... having a container deployment would be more robust.

ornias

Wizard
If you set the container to use host networking...
Thats not needed, you can create special services that point to external resources, such as the TrueNAS SCALE WebUI. I just added that feature (including ingress support) to TrueCharts a few weeks back.

It would be relatively trivial to add zero tier to said stack, without Host Networking or root access.

sretalla