HotSwap not working anymore

CodeAuror

Cadet
Hi there,

I was wondering if there's any possibility to find out why hot swapping of harddrives isn't working anymore.

I had the problem with the previous build I used (11.1-U7) then changed to FreeNAS-11.2-U3 but the problem persists.

Before this problem occurred I used to insert one of my backup-harddisks into one of the hot-swappable slots, which are connected to onboard SATA or a SATA-controller, it got immediately recognized, I mounted it, rsynced, unmounted it and was done.

Nowadays when I insert one of the backup-harddisks nothing happens - neither with slots connected to onboard SATA nor to the SATA controller. A camcontrol devlist doesn't show the disk. A camcontrol rescan doesn't bring it up either :-(

Any ideas what I need to do for further diagnosis or even better getting the old functionality back?

Thx
CA

Redcoat

MVP
This sounds like a hardware issue.

Is the HDD recognized in the BIOS?

CodeAuror

Cadet
Whenever I reboot the system all drives are recognized correctly.
Same whenever I switch an already running disk (e.g. unmount my internal backup disk, put in the external disk, mount that - everything fine).

The thing that does not work is booting FreeNAS with all drives that are supposed to be in it and than adding others when it's already running...

Redcoat

MVP
Hmm..., and the loss of funtion did not coincide with a FreeNAS version change or any other system changes? Same backup HDD(s)?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

CodeAuror

Cadet
I've ordered a completely new disk to try out but I haven't done any hw changes to the hw or configuration before. The backup HDDs used to work without any hassle just a few weeks ago. Meaning I just put them into any empty slot, FreeNAS noticed them appearing, I mounted them, did my backup, unmounted them.

My hw details are:
  • motherboard make and model
Supermicro X10SLM-F
  • CPU make and model
Intel Core i3
  • RAM quantity
4 x 8GB ECC DDR
  • hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
1 x WD RED 10TB for internal backups
2 x WD RED 8 TB and 2 x WD RED 6 TB for v0
2 x WD 8 TB for v1
1 x WD RED 8 TB, 2 x WD 6 TB for external backups (which aren't being recognized when I insert them)

v0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/66af9340-7a0f-11e8-9c34-002590dbaee7.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/42b90bef-3a71-11e8-b6c6-002590dbaee7.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-1 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/4091a3b5-76d6-11e8-9c34-002590dbaee7.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/448a63f5-3a71-11e8-b6c6-002590dbaee7.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
v1 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/7814d109-e676-11e7-88b6-002590dbaee7.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/78d95112-e676-11e7-88b6-002590dbaee7.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
  • hard disk controllers
Onboard SATA-Ports and 2 x Syba PCI Express Controller with Marvell 88SE9215
  • network cards
Onboard chipset

Redcoat

MVP
Strange indeed - maybe try something in this list (lifted from https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/309513/find-when-new-hardware-is-connected-on-freebsd)?

"If you want only to check if a device is connected (checking kernel messages with dmesg, check in /var/log files and use some tools like usbconfig, pciconf or camcontrol).
But, if you want more (handle a message and execute a program or something like that when you plug your device), you can use devd.
When you connect a device, FreeBSD kernel will generate messages:
  • when you plug your device, an attach message is generated
  • when you unplug your device, a detach message is generated
  • and more (see devd.conf man page if you want more information).
FreeBSD uses devd by default, and its configuration is stored in /etc/devd/ and /etc/devd.conf. If you use linux, the same features exist with devfs and udev.
You can find some examples in /usr/share/examples/etc/devd.conf."

CodeAuror

Cadet
Thx but I don't see where this article might help me. As I initially wrote I don't get any log messages when I plug any HDD in. A camcontrol devlist doesn't show them either. For the worst even camcontrol rescan doesn't bring up any hot-plugged HDD and I don't want to do a camcontrol reset on a productive system.

Redcoat

MVP
OK - good luck with working the problem.

CodeAuror

Cadet
Didn't mean to upset you. All I meant to say is: I already googled a lot on this topic and within the thread you posted I find nothing I haven't tried yet. At the current state I have no ideas how to further proceed in finding/ solving the error. I'll try the new HDD as soon as it's delivered but I have no clue why the old disks aren't working anymore and I have little hope a new drive will change that.

Redcoat

MVP
Hey, no upset here - I REALLY meant "Good Luck"! I would be very frustrated if I were going through your situation, and I would want at least to understand it.

Stevie_1der

Explorer
Did this happen out of the blue while the system was constantly up and running?
Or did it happen after a power cycle, or after you changed some BIOS/UEFI settings?
Does it happen with onboard SATA ports?
Does it happen with SATA ports on an add-on card?

If it happend after a power cycle, and it only happens with onboard SATA ports, it could be due to an empty battery, and thus auto-resetting of some UEFI settings.
Check if all ports are configured as AHCI and if HDD hot-plug is enabled for all ports in UEFI.

If it happens only with add-on card SATA ports, well these are known to cause the weirdest problems sometimes (and even more likely with non-Windows OS).

I hope we can get to the cause of your problems, I somehow like these kinds of puzzles...