Homeassisstant addons?

asjohem

Dabbler
Hi!

I just installed Homeassisstant plugin on my Truenas, to get rid of my Pi3. But why is there no supervisor menu or a addon store when its installed on truenas?

If there is no way to get the addon store, how do I get addons and install them to my homeassisstant?

One more thing, I cant find my smartplugs (HS100) when Im on truenas homeassisstant. But on my Pi3 I can find them?

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
I don't think you can get the addon store when you're running Home Assistant in a FreeNAS jail. Can't say I ever really understood why, but I'm guessing you're just building in too many layers.

I went the other way from running in a FreeNAS jail to running Hass.io on an RPi4 although never has any problem with my TP-Link plugs on either platform.

indivision

Guru
On TrueNAS, you have "Home Assistant Core". This is some variation of the software that is different than what you use to install to a Pi. The docs say that the features you are looking for are not available in Core but that the same end results are possible in a more manual way. I guess that means configuring yaml through SSH, etc.

That said, my experience so far is that this Core version is even more hamstrung than that. For instance, I am trying to install the Ring integration and it fails with an error about incorrect required version. Nest wouldn't install either. So, I think it may be very limited. I'm looking into Hoobs instead...

It would be neat if there is some way to get regular Home Assistant OS installed in a FreeNAS jail?

indivision

Guru
Hi!

I just installed Homeassisstant plugin on my Truenas, to get rid of my Pi3. But why is there no supervisor menu or a addon store when its installed on truenas?

If there is no way to get the addon store, how do I get addons and install them to my homeassisstant?

One more thing, I cant find my smartplugs (HS100) when Im on truenas homeassisstant. But on my Pi3 I can find them?

It turns out that my above comment was only half correct. Core does not come with the add-ons. However, Core should be able to accomplish the end goals and sometimes just needs some updates to the plugin environment to get something going. See here for details: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...gin-issues-on-freenas-11-3.88411/#post-617973

tprelog

Patron
Here's the bottom line about add-ons -- It's simply not possible -- Home Assistant OS is an appliance type operating system providing the Supervisor. The Supervisor and all add-ons are Docker containers. To my knowledge there is no working version of Docker available for FreeBSD. Without Docker, there is no chance add-ons.

There no getting around it, add-ons are convenient but you don't really need them. Add-on are just Docker containers that have been customized to allow a more "out of the box" working setup for Home Assistant. They also provide ingress trough the Supervisor, which allows them to be configured from the Home Assistant UI.

If you don't have add-ons, you can just install and configure the software as you normally would. On TrueNAS CORE, you might start by looking at other TrueNAS Plugins or manually create a jail and install what you need. When I am unable to find the software I need on FreeBSD, for example ozwdaemon, I run it from a Raspberry PI I have setup with Docker.

If you want to run Home Assistant with add-ons from FreeNAS or TrueNAS CORE, you'll need to run Home Assistant OS in VM.

Here's a guide on Home Assistant forum to help with that.

EDIT I just happened on this, so I thought I 'd add it here

Home Assistant OS
* Image based install, add-ons, no ability to “tinker” with the OS on the host

Home AssistantContainer
* Docker on Linux, no add-ons, do what you want on the host - just learn enough Docker to know what you’re doing

Home AssistantCore
* pip install, no add-ons, do what you want - just learn enough Linux to know what you’re doing

Home AssistantSupervised
* Scripted install version of HA OS on your own OS, add-ons, only officially supported on Debian Buster - “just” learn enough Linux and Docker to ensure you stay supported, and remember that OS upgrades may cause the Supervisor to refuse to let you upgrade anything until you fix the thing it complains about

Last edited: