Home Assistant Core Plugin

TrueAJS

Cadet
Home Assistant Core Plugin is not showing up in my community collection. Running TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

Any solutions?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's been removed, and you shouldn't use plugins:

tprelog

Patron
I can point you to several guides that can help you install Home Assistant in regular jail but be warned running Home Assistant by any means on FreeBSD is not supported. While a basic installation may still run without issue, you can expect that not everything will work as expected. The Bluetooth integration is a good example of something that will not work. In any case, maintaining a Home Assistant installation on FreeBSD requires some effort.

A supported installation method in the Home Assistant context means:

A way of installing and running Home Assistant in a way that is supported by the Home Assistant developers. Supported means the installation method is tested and documented in the official documentation. Running Home Assistant using such a supported method, leads to the optimal user experience.
The Home Assistant team does not prevent us from running Home Assistant using an unofficial method. However, they cannot will not help with issues that we encounter.

tprelog

Patron
Hi @victort - I'm unsure if you'll find any up-to-date guides for this.

You may find outdated guides hiding in the wiki in the old plugin repo and the Home Assistant forum.

This guide uses the rc script from the plugin to install Home Assistant.

And this was the complete manual installation guide.

Finally, there is this post in the Home Assistant forum.

As I mentioned, these guides are outdated, so you must adjust the FreeBSD release for your jail and the Python version you install accordingly.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I forgot about this one.
It's a scripted install. Updated 10 months ago to use Python 3.10. This may be your best bet.

Last edited:

victort

Guru
I'd have to think the best way to run HA would be in a VM.
For more features I would agree. But for me it’s a basic MyQ integration with a couple of users.

I don’t like the MyQ app.

tprelog

Patron
I have to agree with danb35 - If you just want to use Home Assistant rather than spend time maintaining the installation, a VM is a better option, even for the most basic setups.

somethingweird

Contributor
I'm running VM - Home Assistant Supervisor. I remember I had a hell of a time to get it OS (ubuntu I believe) to boot via EFI.

Solution EFI Boot