SOLVED Help with VDEV's and Check my Understanding

kranzel

Explorer
Hello all,

Looking for some clarifications and possibly to double check my plan. Thanks in advance for any help.

Item #1. I have been reading the storage section of the FreeNAS 11.2-U3 manual. Specifically, I am locking at expanding a pool by adding a second VDEV. Currently, I have one pool with a single VDEV. The VDEV is 6 x8TB WD RED in a RaidZ2 configuration. I am at the 90% mark and plan to add a new 6x8TB WD RED RaidZ2 VDEV to that pool.

Question 1: The instructions on adding a VDEV are clear, the thing I cannot seem to find is how the storage will be managed after I add the VDEV. Will FreeNAS automatically shift data from my first VDEV to the new VDEV to ensure I am below the 80% threshold? Or do I do this manually somehow?

Question 2: Going forward, can I assume FreeNAS will handle balancing the storage across the VDEV’s? Or is this something I must watch for?

Item#2 Before I commit to the adding the second VDEV, I am considering moving to an encrypted state. To do this, I believe the actions would be as follows,

Create a new pool, let’s call it NewPool, with my new VDEV and encrypt it.
Copy data from existing or OldPool to NewPool. I have seen a few guides out there on how to copy the data, so I think I have that down.
Once data is copied. Destroy OldPool and move the VDEV to NewPool where encryption will occur once added.
Backup Key’s etc.

I realize there are details in there such as ensuring to properly transfer the data etc. But form a high level, is that correct?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Question 1: The instructions on adding a VDEV are clear, the thing I cannot seem to find is how the storage will be managed after I add the VDEV. Will FreeNAS automatically shift data from my first VDEV to the new VDEV to ensure I am below the 80% threshold? Or do I do this manually somehow?
ZFS manages this for you (but won't balance the content if you already have existing data, which means most writes will go only to the new VDEV until they are about even).

Question 2: Going forward, can I assume FreeNAS will handle balancing the storage across the VDEV’s? Or is this something I must watch for?
See answer 1

You need to forget about managing content on VDEVs and think about pools and datasets. ZFS does the rest for you.

If you really want/need to see a balanced pool, you need to start a fresh one with the correct count of VDEVs and put the content on there from the beginning (backup, destroy, recreate, restore)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Create a new pool, let’s call it NewPool, with my new VDEV and encrypt it.
VDEVs don't exist outside pools.

You can't transfer a VDEV between pools. (since it stops existing as soon as it leaves the first one... which by the way destroys the first pool anyway even if there are more VDEVs in it).

kranzel

Explorer
VDEVs don't exist outside pools.

You can't transfer a VDEV between pools. (since it stops existing as soon as it leaves the first one... which by the way destroys the first pool anyway even if there are more VDEVs in it).

Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize VDEV's didn't exist outside the pool. Up until now, I have only ever had a single pool with a single VDEV. I assumed the two were "separable". good to know.

So, just to make sure I understand this part correctly.

My existing pool, which I will call OldPool contains a single VDEV and the pool is not encrypted.

If I want to encrypt my stuff, I would perform the following.

1. Create a new Pool, called NewPool and add my newly acquired 6x8TB drives to the pool in a single RaidZ2 VDEV and encrypt it.
2. Migrate all data from OldPool to NewPool.
3. Detroy OldPool
4. Add the 6x8TB drives that have been made available to by destroying OldPool to NewPool as a new RaidZ2 VDEV. Because it is being added to an encrypted pool, it will also be enxrypted.
5. Back up keys.

Sound about right?

sretalla