Please help me vet this comprehensive guide to re-balancing data on striped mirror pools

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
Hi

I have a striped pool of mirrored vdevs that I extended some time ago without considering the distribution of data on the disks and so I want to re-balance the pool to improve performance and distribute disk-wear better.

I'm only somewhat familiar with zfs and though I do have off-side backup of the pool, I would much prefer to not have to replicate everything back in case of a screw-up.

Therefore I pieced together this detailed guide for myself, from info on stachexchange, reddit and here, for that I would very much appreciate if any of you veterans could help me vet. And when the guide are all good, maybe it can help someone else.

NB. I know there are other ways around this - like local copy/paste and even bash scripts that do this but I see this as a zfs learning opportunity :smile:

Thanks in advance.

1. Get to the TrueNAS shell either locally or over ssh

2. Get a root shell and start a tmux session
Code:
$ sudo -i
$ tmux

3. Get an overview of your existing pool (oldpool) and copy the output to a text file somewhere
Code:
   $ zpool list -v oldpool | column -t
   NAME               SIZE   ALLOC  FREE   CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ  FRAG  CAP    DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
   oldpool            30T    20.2T   9.8T  -        -         0%    67%    1.00x  ONLINE  -
      mirror-0        10.9T  9.04T  1.86T  -        -         0%    82.9%  -      ONLINE
         diskID1      -      -      -      -        -         -     -      -      ONLINE
         diskID2      -      -      -      -        -         -     -      -      ONLINE
      mirror-1        10.9T  9.03T  1.88T  -        -         0%    82.8%  -      ONLINE
         diskID3      -      -      -      -        -         -     -      -      ONLINE
         diskID4      -      -      -      -        -         -     -      -      ONLINE
      mirror-2        10.9T  2.1T   8.8T   -        -         0%    19.3%  -      ONLINE
         diskIDn-1    -      -      -      -        -         -     -      -      ONLINE
         diskIDn      -      -      -      -        -         -     -      -      ONLINE

4. Scrub the old pool
Code:
   $ zfs scrub oldpool

5. Stop all services using the old pool, (e.g. shares, k8s, VMs, Etc.)

6. If applicable: move the 'system dataset' to another pool

7. Make a temporary recursive snapshot of the entire pool including all local snapshots
Code:
$ zfs snap -r oldpool@migration

8. Detach one disk from each mirror in the old pool
Code:
$ zpool detach oldpool DiskID1
$ zpool detach oldpool DiskID3
$ zpool detach oldpool DiskIDn-1

9. Create a new pool with single-disk vdevs using the detached disks from the old pool
Code:
$ zpool create \
   -o ashift=12 \
   -o atime=off \
   -o compression=lz4 \
   -o xattr=sa \
   -o encryption=on \
   -o keylocation=file:///path/to/encryption-key.json \
   -o keyformat=hex \
   newpool \
   mirror DiskID1 \
   mirror DiskID3 \
   mirror DiskIDn-1

11. Replicate everything from oldpool to newpool
Code:
$ zfs send -R oldpool@migration | zfs recv -Fuv newpool

11. Scrub the new pool
Code:
$ zfs scrub newpool

11. Destroy the old pool
Code:
$ zfs destroy oldpool

12. Attach a disk from the now destroyed oldpool to each single-disk vdev in newpool
Code:
$ zpool attach newpool DiskID1   DiskID2
$ zpool attach newpool DiskID3   DiskID4
$ zpool attach newpool DiskIDn-1 DiskIDn

13. Rename the pool back to oldpool
Code:
$ zpool export newpool
$ zpool import newpool oldpool

14. Move back system dataset and restart services

Last edited:

sretalla