Help with TrueNas core

Josh1200

Dabbler
Hello i am new with TrueNas.

I just want a save truenass server for backupping picture's video's and stuff. I use a pc with this specs:

Intel Core i3 4400 Proecessor
ASRock B85M-DGS
8 gb ram dddr3

3X Seagate HDD NAS 3.5" 2TB ST2000VN004 IronWolf

I installed truenas core but i want to use raid 5 But. i dont see that option. Is RaidZ the same?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Josh1200

Dabbler
Keep in mind the minimum requirement is 16 GB.

You might want to read this (shameless plug alert): https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/
yeah i know if it works well i will upgrade to 16gb but its a old pc of mine so i will see how it works like this first. But thanks for telling me.

I read teh article. but the part i dont understand is. That i bought 3x 2tb disk because i want to do raid 5 but on true nas that is raidZ2 but i dont see that option i dont understand why

Josh1200

Dabbler
I only see three options
1676330133017.png

Josh1200

Dabbler
  • raid5 or raidz distributes parity along with the data and can lose one physical drive before a raid failure. Because parity needs to be calculated raid 5 is slower then raid0, but raid 5 is much safer. RAID 5 requires at least three hard disks in which one(1) full disk of space is used for parity.
Is this correct?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
  • raid5 or raidz distributes parity along with the data and can lose one physical drive before a raid failure. Because parity needs to be calculated raid 5 is slower then raid0, but raid 5 is much safer. RAID 5 requires at least three hard disks in which one(1) full disk of space is used for parity.
Is this correct?
Broadly, yes, RAIDZ1 is similar in functionality to RAID5.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
this is what the article says ", RAIDZ1 is roughly equivalent to RAID5,"

So i dont understand what you mean.
You're not reading what he quoted you as saying... you said RAIDZ2 (I guess you didn't mean to do that)

Okay. but why cab't i choose RAIDZ1? i have three 2 tb disk so i could do raid 5.

What do i miss here?
You only have 3 disks, so you can only do RAIDZ1 (from the 3 possibilities of RAID-Z)... so in your case, the menu option lists RAID-Z (which means RAIDZ1)

Josh1200

Dabbler
Maybe i didn't Said it right. I mean what raid configuration do i need if i want a system that can tolerate 1 disk failure

Josh1200

Dabbler
You're not reading what he quoted you as saying... you said RAIDZ2 (I guess you didn't mean to do that)
Yeah that was my fault sorry. Thanks for correcting me.
You only have 3 disks, so you can only do RAIDZ1 (from the 3 possibilities of RAID-Z)... so in your case, the menu option lists RAID-Z (which means RAIDZ1)
Ahh okay so RAID-Z For me Means RAIDZ1 = RAID 5 Right? so i have 1 disk fault tolerance?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Yes (although saying the 2 things are equal isn't exactly correct).

1 disk lost in RAIDZ1 gives you a pool that will still function.

Josh1200

Dabbler
Yes (although saying the 2 things are equal isn't exactly correct).

1 disk lost in RAIDZ1 gives you a pool that will still function.
Okay and if i replace the disk that is broken. Then i the data that was lost is then coming back right?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Okay and if i replace the disk that is broken. Then i the data that was lost is then coming back right?
Again, yes (but not exactly what you said...)

Resilvering is the name for what happens when you perform a replace operation on a missing disk.

The data that needs to go on the new/replacement member of the VDEV is calculated from the parity and data on the remaining good disks.

Checksums (which ZFS writes together with every data block) are also used to verify all of the blocks being read during that process, ensuring all data that is touched is valid.

I don't think it's right to say that any data was lost (but I suppose you can say that some blocks that weren't parity may indeed be gone, so technically "right").

The principle I want to communicate is that the pool continues to operate even with one disk missing, with no "lost data".

If you have some kind of issue with the remaining 2 disks while a third is gone, you may experience data loss or corruption, which is why people who care a lot about their data use RAIDZ2 (where you still have protection even with one lost disk), not RAIDZ1 (where 1 lost disk means no protection is available if corruption is detected).

Josh1200

Dabbler
Again, yes (but not exactly what you said...)

Resilvering is the name for what happens when you perform a replace operation on a missing disk.

The data that needs to go on the new/replacement member of the VDEV is calculated from the parity and data on the remaining good disks.

Checksums (which ZFS writes together with every data block) are also used to verify all of the blocks being read during that process, ensuring all data that is touched is valid.

I don't think it's right to say that any data was lost (but I suppose you can say that some blocks that weren't parity may indeed be gone, so technically "right").

The principle I want to communicate is that the pool continues to operate even with one disk missing, with no "lost data".

If you have some kind of issue with the remaining 2 disks while a third is gone, you may experience data loss or corruption, which is why people who care a lot about their data use RAIDZ2 (where you still have protection even with one lost disk), not RAIDZ1 (where 1 lost disk means no protection is available if corruption is detected).
Thanks for all the answers. But to resume, If i use RAID_Z1 for me thats (RAID_Z) Then 1 disk can break and my data is not lost but i am not protected anymore, but if i then replace the broken disk i get my data back and i am protected again? If i use RAID-Z2 then if 1 disk broken i am still protected?

sretalla