Help with new installation. Accounts and LAGG

smic717394

Dabbler
Hi guys, I'm new to Truenas and I need a bit of help, maybe some of the questions were already asked, if so I apologies. My new nas is a Mini ITX A1SRI-2558 motherboard with 16GB ram and 4x 4GB WD hdd. I got most of the stuff working, but I have few questions.

1. When creating an account under home directory, if I select the pool, then a new folder will be created with the name of the user, this folder will not appear under pools or datasets and can only be deleted by deleting the username. Is it recommended to create folders for users this way or leave on nonexistent and create a dataset?

2. The motherboard have 1x 1G LAN and 1 for IPMI, I tried LAG, but I cant get LACP to work, I created a LAGG on the switch (TL-SG1016DE) but there is no option for LACP, I guess is just passive LAG, so this is a no go. I got to work the LAG as loadbalance and the failover.

I see there are 2 more opcions, roundrobin and none. The loadbalance works ok, but on failover I get access locally, but I tried to ping google.com and it fails. What option if any of LAG you recommend.

Thank you.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The motherboard have 1x 1G LAN and 1 for IPMI,
Usually, you can't use the IPMI interface as a NIC for system traffic, so LAGG or LACP is off the table. (and sounds like you don't have the right switch for it anyway... even if there was a reason to do it, which there probably isn't).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so you have 4 NICs (1GB each).

What are you expecting from LAGG?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
to increase the bandwidth from 1gb to 4gb

LAGG won't do that. It will increase your bandwidth up to 4x1Gbps (which is NOT the same thing as 4Gbps). A single connection will never be able to get more than 1Gbps, which is a finer point often missed by people who aren't networking nerds.

On a dumb switch, you CANNOT configure the TrueNAS side for LACP, which is a protocol that expects to be able to chat with the switch in order to manage the connection, and a dumb switch will be LACP-mute. You WILL be able to do failover, and loadbalance may work as well, and while you CAN do roundrobin, this will violate packet ordering and usually kills performance in weird and hard-to-debug ways unless you happen to love deciphering Wireshark or tcpdump packet captures. People think that roundrobin is the magic way to get that 4Gbps single link that they really want.

In reality, it all kinda sucks, and I typically recommend that if you want faster-than-1G, the place to look is at 10G, which is nice and pleasant if you follow the 10 Gig Networking Primer guidance.

smic717394

Dabbler
Ok, thank you. I´ll have a look. My switch can do static LAG just not LACP, I´m now using loadbalance, I don't know if its any better than just one 1G connection.
Thank you all for replying. If any can clarify the account folder as well I will appreciate it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I´m now using loadbalance, I don't know if its any better than just one 1G connection.

Only if you have two separate clients and they happen to have the good fortune to be mapped to different LAG members. See the linked article.

sretalla