Help with hardware for auxiliary / backup storage build

Lightning98

Cadet
Hello,

So, to preface this, up until this point my "storage system" has been 16 individual drives connected to a windows box with each drive shared :) - Not ideal, I know, but you know what they say... if it sounds stupid but works

For the past 9 months I have been testing one TrueNAS box with just trying to get some experience with it, trying to crash it, turn it off, unplug drives and such, and it has worked flawlessly! I didn't use ECC ram for any of this, and i use checksums in every folder and for all my data independent of the file system, so I'm sure all my data was OK.

The hardware I used was:
* ASUS TUF-B450M-PLUS-GAMING
* AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
* DDR4 - 16Gb
* IBM ServeRaid M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT mode (8 port)
* Corsair TX750W PSU
* 4 x Samsung F1 1TB + 4 x WD Black 1TB drives (configured in ZFS RAID Z2 )

So, now I basically got myself 2 18TB Seagate Exos drives and will use them as main drives, while i would want to use a TrueNAS build as a kind of weekly "sync" or backup box

As for the hardware, I would keep everything the same, just add this:
* Another LSI9211-IT 8 port card (for a total 8 + 8 ports with 4 more on the MBO)
* Additional 16GB of DDR4
* 10 x 4TB WD Red Plus
* 6 x 1TB Samsung F1 + 4 x WD Black 1TB

The reason why i want to keep things the same is - $$. As in i want to keep my cost as low as possible and other than an additional RAM i have everything else

Use case: this system will be turned on for example on as it needs to be used, so probably 6 times or so a month. It won't be a 24/7 system, and 90% of the data will be backed up elswhere.

Question 1: would you consider this an "ok" configuration , or do you see some major drawbacks to this idea which could cause me problems along the line?

Question 2: For the future i might want to use this system 24/7 - assuming it would be recommended to upgrade the MBO + CPU, but i am a bit overwhelmed by the hardware options. Xeons V2, V3, LGA 2011, 1150... What I know is - I don't want to spend a ton of money, and I don't really care about power consumption. So with that in mind, could you give me some options?

Thank you,
And bear with me and my beginner questions :)

NugentS

MVP
Q1: If you are just using this to hold data - then it doesn't need anything high powered in the form of CPU. I backup to a T853A (QNAP) that has been retrofitted with TrueNAS and its fine (for the purpose). Its got a Celeron N3150@1.6GHz and 4 threads. My only moderate issue is the lack of ECC. A very slight issue is that if you plan on moving to SSD then the 9211's will run out of steam before the SSD's do

I thought Samsung F1 was a phone!!
Why the 1TB drives. Sorry - but 1TB is a boot disk (maybe thats a bit harsh), or a local PC Backup disk. 1TB drives aren't worth the power they use (IMHO). Unless these are SSD - but you haven't said

Q2: Depends on your use case - you are clearly changing the use case but haven't said what the use case is.