Help with FUSE and FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DosWrenchos

Cadet
I would like to switch from using the built in SMB client in FreeBSD to FUSE but am not sure where to start.

The reason I am looking to switch is that the SMB client included in FreeBSD is not compatible with the newer versions of SMB. So, for example, I have to set my SMB server on my FreeNAS box to accept connections from the older less secure SMB clients and I would like to get away from that.

Right now, I have my FreeBSD client setup to mount a few SMB shares that exist on my FreeNAS server on during boot. I do this through mount commands that exist in my fstab file.

So my first question would be, is there an equivalent command I can use in my fstab file to use FUSE to mount these SMB shares during boot? If so can you provide a sample of what the command should look like? Is there any additional setup required?

Maybe FUSE is the wrong direction to go? I am open to other suggestions.

Right now, the SMB shares the FreeBSD clients connect to are also connected to by Windows and Linux clients. So when I set this up SMB seemed to be the path of least resistance since all the OSes have SMB clients that I could use to easily connect to the SMB shares. But maybe there's another, better way.

Any input is appreciated.

DosWrenchos

Cadet
I am not sure what I am going to do.

I am finding it difficult to get info on how to use FUSE and at this point I am not really sure if it will fit for what I am trying to do. A post I saw some posts on the freebsd forums that led me to believe that fuse isn't really ready for production for my use case.

I am open to any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.