Help with a couple of hardware setup issues

ricostuart

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm very new to using TrueNAS and Linux software in general. However, saying that, I've changed my QNAP box to run on TrueNAS and have found it running much better. So, the issues I currently am having and I hope someone can guide me through some of them.

1. I have a TVS 473e box with 32Gb RAM, 4x8TB drives and 2x500GB M.2 drives (for backend stuff). Also installed is a 1050ti LP card. Its all been running great using Emby as my media server software on the box for a couple of years. Now TrueNAS seems to see the graphics cards (as it is recognised under Settings-Advanced-Isolate GPU). However, if I type nvidia-cmi in the shell, it says:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

As such, transcoding can only been done via software as the card doesn't show up on the Emby hardware list. The little CPU cannot handle that at all. I have tried this with both the GPU isolated and without it. Same issue either way. Should it be isolated for use with the apps?

2. My UPS is connected via USB but it keeps showing as disconnecting every 30 seconds or so when a monitor is connected. Its (I know it was cheap) an Amazon 400VA UPS (basically a CyperPower BR700ELCD-UK but with a crappier battery, no display and no ports). Again, it was cheap but it does work and has saved the server a couple of times now from power cuts. Is there a way I can see why its disconnecting then immediatly reconnecting? Is there a way of seeing its stats via the gui?

3. The fans have to be left set to manual in the BIOS to make them constantly run at 100%, as automatic will not ramp them up. I found this out as originally was left in auto and was doing an overnight data transfer which pegged the CPU temps to 100'c! Not great. While its generally fine as the box is stored with all the networking stuff under the stairs, it would be nice to get the fans to auto speed. Is there a way of TrueNAS to do fan control? I don't seem to see any options available for that.

4. The QNAP box has an LCD display on it. I've downloaded elvisimprsntr's LCD script and tried running them but I just get the following error:
stty: /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error
./lcd_postinit.sc: 10: printf: printf: I/O error
./lcd_postinit.sc: 14: printf: printf: I/O error
./lcd_postinit.sc: 18: printf: printf: I/O error
./lcd_postinit.sc: 22: printf: printf: I/O error

Any suggestions on this? Would be nice to have the display and light turn off.

As you can tell, the importance is in descending order. I've been doing as many searches as I can to try and solve these, but I am not really getting any success. Please help!

Thank you all - and thank you for the awseome software. Already I've noticed a much better throughput on data (with all 4 network connections in full use the speeds are definatly better than standard), much lower idle power usage (have a meter on the plug showing about a 10+Watt reduction) and a much improved startup time.

ricostuart

Cadet
Ok so for a quick update regarding the NVidia issues. I've removed from Settings-Advanced-Isolate GPU all cards and then done a full reset of the system. On reboot it actually worked using Settings-Shell, then using nvidia-smi. This now gave the card details. Under the settings for emby docker image, i was able to select the graphics card from from option 0 to option 1 (didnt show up option 1 before). Once that docker reset, i could select the card in emby! And it tested to work! Yay!