Help understanding how to copy Snapshots from one FreeNAS to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retep

Cadet
Hi all,

I am quite new to FreeNAS so am still unfamiliar with some of the options it provides. I found myself needing to copy a live server's NFS snapshot to our test environment but after some looking around I saw no clear way to do this within the FreeNAS environment.

I have two newly installed FreeNAS boxes. One has our live VM's on it and the other is our test system. I want to copy one of the snapshots created on our live environment onto the the test FreeNAS box so we can perform some tests.

We are running VMWare ESXi 4.1 not that it really matters for ZFS snapshots but just in case the information is needed.

Would we use a ZFS Replication task for this or is there another way other than creating a clone and then manually copying the folder from one share to the other?

Thank you.

FireBIade

Dabbler
Not sure but I would assume you just use the zfs command to copy the snapshot from one box to another.

e.g. zfs send data2@auto-20110922.1753-2h | ssh -i /data/ssh/replication 192.168.2.2 zfs receive data@auto-20110922.1753-2h

If you haven't setup ssh keys (which probably isn't necessary in your circumstances) it will probably just ask for the password.

Retep

Cadet
Thank you for this. I will check it out.

Much appreciated,

Status
Not open for further replies.