FreeNAS Backup copy to Windows Server R2 RDP

theITguy93

Cadet
Hi Guy´s,:smile:

I have a question. Why is so necessary to update th FreeNAS to the newer version. We have FreeNAS 11 SMB3_02 and mount_smbfs tied. I read all comment but our FreeNAS is kind a big and I would like to do it without the update. Might be there some another option...

We have our Virtuel Mashine with Veeam, and connected iSCSI with FreeNAS. I want to make a copie of Veeam Backup file witch lies one the FreeNAS Drive. I have between FreeNAS and iSCSI Virtuel Mashine 60-80Mbit/s it´s all ok but if I take the copy to my WD Elements trough RDP than max 5,5Mbit/s. o_O
RDP makes slower, is my opinion after experience and Google.

There is some option to make it faster without connect directly on FreeNAS with USB drive?
Trough Server somehow and not on complicated way? I have not much time and therefore is important.

Thank you for HELP!

Attachments

• ISCSI_Targets_mit_der_Software_FreeNAS_93_einrichten.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
  • FreeNAS Version.PNG
    FreeNAS Version.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Diese PC Ansicht.PNG
    Diese PC Ansicht.PNG
    75.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Computerverwaltung.PNG
    Computerverwaltung.PNG
    62.1 KB · Views: 125
  • rzpool.PNG
    rzpool.PNG
    26.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Copy 5mbits.PNG
    Copy 5mbits.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 134
  • copy the data to wd.PNG
    copy the data to wd.PNG
    89.3 KB · Views: 125

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you'd be more comfortable in German, you could repost this to the German forum. As it is, I don't understand your question nor what you're trying to accomplish.

theITguy93

Cadet
I would like to have faster data transfer to my PC from the FreeNAS. I want copy the Backup data to an External Drive. The maximal Data Transfer Speed was 5,5Mbit/s. I have to copy 7-8TB data. My problem is that it take a while, up to 1-2 Day´s.

Samuel Tai

Are you using a USB3 or USB2 external drive? When I copy from my FreeNAS to my PC's external USB3 drive, I can copy at 100 Mbps. However, for 7-8TB, that's still not going to be sufficiently fast. Connecting the external drive directly to my FreeNAS server's physical USB3 port, I can achieve 5 Gbps, and a 2.27 TB transfer took 5 hours.

theITguy93

Cadet
Yes i using a USB3.1 and it would be already nice to have 100 Mbps. FreeNAS has USB2.0 but the Problem is that our FreeNAS is shelf built around and we have very limited space. Therefore i would like to do from my Office with minimum 80-100 Mbps.

I think that someting in my FreeNAS system is incorrectly set up or some tool or settings missing to get faster Data Transfer.

Samuel Tai

Please describe the specifics of your FreeNAS build, per Forum Rules.

Samuel Tai

In your case, I would look into a Cat5 USB2.0 extender, to connect your external drive directly to the FreeNAS server.

Then, follow this procedure to loop-mount your zvol backing the Veeam iSCSI share.

Then use the shell to mount your external drive via ntfs-3g

At that point, you can run rsync to copy the data from the loop mount to the external drive. USB2 is limited to 480Mbps, but that's still better than what you have now. For 7-8TB, that will take about 40-41 hours.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
My guess would be that the RDP connection is the bottleneck. But I agree with @Samuel Tai that it is difficult to understand the core of the issue.