Help to choose the right SAS Controller

Susp8t

Cadet
Hi guys,
I'm new to the FreeNAS community and is considering building a home server using the FreeNAS software. My motherboard doesn't have the required amount of SATA-ports, and I therefore need to invest in a SAS/SATA Controller.

I'm currently considering these Broadcom Controllers:

SAS 9300-8i Host Bus Adapter (12 GB/s)
https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9300-8i

SAS 9207-8i Host Bus Adapter (6 GB/s)
https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9207-8i

Will be using WD Red Pro 10TB (6 GB/s) HDD's. So the question is if one or the other is more compatible with FreeNAS? Is there any reason why I should go with the newer and more expensive SAS 9300?

Thanks guys for any help!

Both work fine, unless you plan to add a SAS3 expander later and many more disks or SSDs, no reason for going with the 9300-8i.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Both work fine, unless you plan to add a SAS3 expander later and many more disks or SSDs, no reason for going with the 9300-8i.
On the subject of SSDs, I believe the TRIM implementation in the newer more expensive SAS3008 is also considered "less broken" than in the SAS2308, but both are considerably better than the old SAS2008.

I believe the TRIM implementation in the newer more expensive SAS3008 is also considered "less broken" than in the SAS2308, but both are considerably better than the old SAS2008.

It is, at least with Linux, trim doesn't work with SAS2008 or 2308 with some filesystems like xfs and btrfs, apparently it still works with ext4, though like all LSI HBAs they require SSDs with read zeros after trim support.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It is, at least with Linux, trim doesn't work with SAS2008 or 2308 with some filesystems like xfs and btrfs, apparently it still works with ext4, though like all LSI HBAs they require SSDs with read zeros after trim support.

With the history of BTRFS, I would expect its initial attempt at implementing TRIM to do something like accidentally secure-erase the drive.

Perhaps a compiled list of SSDs with confirmed RZAT support would be a useful resource on the forum.

But in the OP's case, since the plan is to use spinning disks, and not build an all-flash array, saving the extra few dollars on the HBA would be the route to go, since it might allow for more RAM, a better PSU, or even some internal cable tidying/fan mounting to keep the drives in a comfortable temperature range. I know the Red Pro's can run hotter than others, but a little airflow never hurt.