Help / Tip for configuring an externally accessible file server

camboriu

Cadet
Good morning, I need a file server on my machine, but that can be accessed and downloaded from the external network.
First I thought of creating an SFTP server and putting the files inside it via filezilla, I "got" doing it with WebDav, but I had problems in creating access to it in the question of users, I think I still don't understand very well how it works, I need to study most...
Then I started reading, and saw that no one recommends doing this for safety.

Before I focus on something that is not recommended, what do you recommend I use?

My scenario is as follows->
I have an RB that controls access on the network, is already redirecting everything right..
I have a high-performance desktop, where I created a VM, put a dedicated network card (2.5gb) and made a dedicated HD available just for it, including Truenas (everything is working now).

I need to create some folders inside the HD, for example:

Commercial
Coordination
Support

Since each of these folders, the user should only access with their password (one should not access the other, so each user would have a group, with their permissions).
And they only need to Download the files and not change anything in the folder, I can change that in the permissions...
It can be via torrent too, it's even better, if you can do that.

How is it done for the external network, that way it would be bad, or can I continue with WebDav without fear?

Thank you in advance

[translated from Portugese -JG]

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Greetings -

Welcome to these forums.

Please note that the main forums are English language, and you are expected to post in English here. We have a section for International discussion that includes a Portugese section, and you may post in Portugese there. Supporting multiple languages in the main forums is untenable. If you do not speak English natively, please know that we're fine with machine-translated messages from services such as Google Translate. These don't always work well, but we will still definitely try to help you!

Your post has been translated with Google Translate.

----------

Saudações -

Bem-vindo a estes fóruns.

Observe que os fóruns principais são em inglês e espera-se que você poste em inglês aqui. Temos uma seção para discussão internacional que inclui uma seção em português, e você pode postar em português lá. O suporte a vários idiomas nos fóruns principais é insustentável. Se você não fala inglês nativamente, saiba que aceitamos mensagens traduzidas por máquina de serviços como o Google Tradutor. Isso nem sempre funciona bem, mas ainda assim definitivamente tentaremos ajudá-lo!

Sua postagem foi traduzida com o Google Tradutor.

camboriu

Cadet
Hi jgreco.

My English in reading is fluent, but in speaking and writing not so much.. I'll try my best to send everything in English, and anyway I'll post it on the international discussion.
Thanks for converting my text above
Greetings -

Welcome to these forums.

Please note that the main forums are English language, and you are expected to post in English here. We have a section for International discussion that includes a Portugese section, and you may post in Portugese there. Supporting multiple languages in the main forums is untenable. If you do not speak English natively, please know that we're fine with machine-translated messages from services such as Google Translate. These don't always work well, but we will still definitely try to help you!

Your post has been translated with Google Translate.

----------

Saudações -

Bem-vindo a estes fóruns.

Observe que os fóruns principais são em inglês e espera-se que você poste em inglês aqui. Temos uma seção para discussão internacional que inclui uma seção em português, e você pode postar em português lá. O suporte a vários idiomas nos fóruns principais é insustentável. Se você não fala inglês nativamente, saiba que aceitamos mensagens traduzidas por máquina de serviços como o Google Tradutor. Isso nem sempre funciona bem, mas ainda assim definitivamente tentaremos ajudá-lo!

Sua postagem foi traduzida com o Google Tradutor.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I have an RB that controls access on the network, is already redirecting everything right..
What is an RB? The context indicates a firewall, but assuming instead of knowing is usually not a good idea.
I have a high-performance desktop, where I created a VM, put a dedicated network card (2.5gb) and made a dedicated HD available just for it, including Truenas (everything is working now).
That configuration is probably ok for playing around. But when the data are valuable it is unsuitable.
I need to create some folders inside the HD, for example:

Commercial
Coordination
Support
This seems to indicate a commercial background. If so, we are talking about things like GDPR and other legal aspects, compliance, etc. In that case I would recommend to get good local support.

What made you choose TrueNAS for your NAS?

camboriu

Cadet
What is an RB? The context indicates a firewall, but assuming instead of knowing is usually not a good idea.

That configuration is probably ok for playing around. But when the data are valuable it is unsuitable.

This seems to indicate a commercial background. If so, we are talking about things like GDPR and other legal aspects, compliance, etc. In that case I would recommend to get good local support.

What made you choose TrueNAS for your NAS?
RB is a RouterBoard, ( MikrotIk) where i do the authentication and firewall (sorry for the technical terms)..

The downloads don't actually include sensitive data, what i'll put are specific programs for each sector, they just need to download it, but if someone else does it, that's fine too... it's just to facilitate the downloads, I thought I'd put it on Google drive for that, but there are 20GB files, and I don't intend to have a paid account ( Google drive limit is 15GB).

That's why I thought about hosting the files inside a NAS, and making sure whoever has my link can download the files directly...
My idea is to just "host" the files and send the link to someone who wants to download them.

I chose TrueNas because I had recommendations from a friend who has already used it, recommended it to me and said it is good.

Thank you and sorry for the delay.