Help - Switching from external disk to internal in pool

GullMoli

Cadet
Hello.

I'm running a TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3 system.

I have 3 pools:

Two of them are the running on the same SSD which I partitioned in the setup process (boot pool and then the rest for apps).
Then there is the data pool, which is currently a single 4TB external hard drive connected trough USB.

I now have two 12TB internal disks in the system which I want to use instead of the external drive.

Ideally I would like to keep my existing pool, just add the new drives in stripe (it's just for movies and tv shows, want performance and not data protection) and then remove the external drive, so that I don't have to mess around with any re-configuration of permissions. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm a complete newb.

I've been trying to figure out how I can see what data layout the existing pool is, to make sure it's stripe, or if I should just create a new pool and copy things over using this guide.

Here is my pool, does this somehow tell me if its stripe configured? Or give me input on how I should be approaching this?
Screenshot 2024-02-19 234206.png

Arwen

MVP
Yes, the GUI snapshot shows you have 1 x disk, 1 wide Data vDev, meaning striped. The orange "!" is a simple warning that you have a vDev without redundancy, which you already know. (Though most want redundancy, so TrueNAS warns in the data unsafe scenario.)

Uh, you just add the 2 new 12TB internal disks as stripe vDevs, then perform the remove of the 4TB external drive. This will cause ZFS to copy over all the data from the 4TB external drive to the 2 new 12TB internal disks. Whence the copy is done, the 4TB external disk should be removed from your media pool.

I don't have the GUI actions memorized, but it should all be in their. Check where the Remove function is located before you add the 2 new 12TB internal disks as striped vDevs to that existing pool...

To be clear, ZFS vDev removal only works on some type of vDevs. So Mirrors or Striped, (as is your case). Not RAID-Zx or dRAID vDevs.

artlessknave

Wizard
Two of them are the running on the same SSD which I partitioned in the setup process (boot pool and then the rest for apps).
Then there is the data pool, which is currently a single 4TB external hard drive connected trough USB.
this is typically considered violently discouraged. truenas is designed to separate the boot from data disks for a reason (reliability and appliance-izing), and mucking about like you have with the OS disks is known to cause issues down the line. this not merely going outside the recomendation, this is actively and vigorously discouraged, and forum users generally will not help with such issues, as its already known to be not a good idea. you have been warned.

on to the topic of the thread.

I now have two 12TB internal disks in the system which I want to use instead of the external drive.
you should be able to simply add the disks to the pool, and then remove the one you don't want. that should work fine as part of the stripe/mirror vdev add/remove functionality. note, however, that if anything goes wrong it will all go byebye. USB drives do not play well with zfs, and are also actively discouraged.

I would, instead, make a new pool and replicate to it from the usb pool