Help! Removed "half" of the volume, trying to recover files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simbasimb

Cadet
Ok sorry english is my second language, and im a complete noob to linux or freenas.

Here is what happened:

I have Freenas set up, 1 SSD for freenas, an 4TB HDD as my first storage drive,
i moved all my files from my windows to the 4TB HDD on my nas via lan internet cables.
then i add another 3TB HDD (no data) towards the original volume on my nas, so i have total a 7TB.

Today im wanted to remove that 3TB HDD back to my windows since my PC needs that space more than my nas ( my total file is about 2 tb).

As i assume all my data must be all on the 4TB drive, i use the "wipe" option on 3TB drive without checking the "remove data" option.
then i cant get access to my data no more, cant remount it on freenas either since it doenst have the path.

How do i get access to my files or should i leave it and give it to professional data recoveries?

BTW all datas are my lifetime digital photos so i really want it back safely

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are screwed. You cannot add and remove disks from pools that have no redundancy. You literally did exactly what my "noobie guide" was designed to warn against.

Sorry, but your data is gone for good unless you are willing to spend 5-figures in US dollars to get it back. You also won't get all of your data back. Approximately 4/7ths of the data will be available, with a high degree of probability that many files will be missing sections that were located on the 3TB drive.

simbasimb

Cadet
You are screwed. You cannot add and remove disks from pools that have no redundancy. You literally did exactly what my "noobie guide" was designed to warn against.

Sorry, but your data is gone for good unless you are willing to spend 5-figures in US dollars to get it back. You also won't get all of your data back. Approximately 4/7ths of the data will be available, with a high degree of probability that many files will be missing sections that were located on the 3TB drive.

Oh buddy, so thats it? im done?
on NTFS i used to be able to do "deep scan recovery" from Recuva (even if i formatted the drive)
If i formatted the 3TB drive once, I should still have the chance of recoverying any data from the 4TB drive right? (i know the directory is dead :/ )
but i dont think i wiped anything on 4TB , even if i did, i only wiped it 1 time...iykwim

Thanks again though!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are welcome to try it. But because of how ZFS works with its structure and stuff, do not expect to find much, if anything. There's a reason why my noobie presentation has this slide in it...

You literally are exactly what that first bullet was meant to avoid. :(

2015-02-26_12h33_04.png

simbasimb

Cadet
You are welcome to try it. But because of how ZFS works with its structure and stuff, do not expect to find much, if anything. There's a reason why my noobie presentation has this slide in it...

You literally are exactly what that first bullet was meant to avoid. :(

View attachment 6834

Thanks alot man, wish i'd read it, im the type that never reads instruction and just do it myself guy.

What would be the best way to set up a secure (not easily to lost data) nas then?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What would be the best way to set up a secure (not easily to lost data) nas then?
Well, you can start with RTFM--it really is important. Then read through cyberjock's powerpoint, carefully and thoroughly. The very short answer is, build a pool with an adequate level of redundancy, and take advantage of the monitoring tools that FreeNAS gives you (like scheduled SMART tests, SMART email status, regular scrubs of your pool, etc.). You instead built a pool with less-than-no redundancy, which gives you the best possible capacity and performance, but dies when you lose either of your disks.

Want something a bit more specific? OK, consider this: set up a six-disk RAIDZ2 pool with whatever size disk is appropriate (you could use four disks, but six gives you double the net capacity and is thus better in terms of $/GB). Set up regular snapshots (perhaps hourly, expiring in a week) to protect yourself against doing something dumb like inadvertently deleting the wrong file. Set up daily short SMART tests, and weekly long tests, or as desired. Run a scrub every couple of weeks (this too can be scheduled, you don't have to do it manually). Use a server-grade motherboard, Intel CPU, and at least 16 GB of ECC RAM. Use a UPS that can talk to the server, and has at least enough battery capacity to run it for 10 minutes or so to allow it to safely shut down in the event of a power outage.

pschatz100

Guru
Thanks alot man, wish i'd read it, im the type that never reads instruction and just do it myself guy.

Have a reliable backup. If you had a backup, you would not have lost your data.

A NAS is not a substitute for a reliable backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.