Help recover my data please. Freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Oh, you don't have the prompt back. That's not a good news unfortunately...

I don't know how long it should takes but try to be patient and wait to see what happens.

Noctris

Contributor
Also: i notice you mention it not respondent and a couple of rebooting. I assume these are hard ones. It's beter if you don't. Hard rebooting during an attempt to Salvage your pool are a bad idea.

3dmdlr

Dabbler
it seems to be getting worse. should i go for software recovery at this point? I am now getting ahcich2 timeout on slot 11 port 0 among other things

Bidule0hm

There's no recovery tool for ZFS...

Noctris

Contributor
What is getting worse? Are the rebooting done by you does the machine just reboot?

I'm afraid there is no software recovery ( that i ma award of).

Log MessagePad could indicate a disk is dying (which does not have to be a disagree in a mirror). Please post smartctl -a for both disks

Noctris

Contributor
Side note: i understand you are in shock. Try to calm down. Don't go doing all sorts of stuff in a panic state of mind. This Will blow away any possibility of recovery in no time. Don't hard reboot, don't go messing with datarecovery tools on the disks. Don't interrupt commando's you are running. Let zfs do it's thing and post the result of the command. This can take a while depending on the size of the volume , which it might run a check on. If it can't mount , we take it from there. If the command is causing reboots, don't try it Again but show output for the smartctl command First

Do you have a back up disk around or another storage device with sufficient space to copy the content to?

Edit: too many times to mention because ipad does dutch autocomplete...

Last edited:

3dmdlr

Dabbler
Noctris
Thank you for your words of calm. Yes I am freaking out bad. I have over 10 years of engineering business on there, business files, payroll, taxes, not to mention our entire life's pictures (wife is not happy right now) Again thank you. I will try to explain everything that is happening:

i have entered the command via the gui on my pc (nas is in its own box)
zpool import -R/mnt NAS1
after i hit enter it appears nothing happens. cursor goes to next line but no results. i guess i can let it chug for hours if need be.

i am now getting error while reading log ext ahcich2: timeout on slot 11 port 0 then it goes to the next slot so on and so forth
this is showing on the nas monitor not the pc gui i did the command from

also, at this point the nas has not auto rebooted it was me always me selecting 11 or doing a ctl alt del

i would like to ask you to help me by telling me exactly waht to do to work thru this process

initially what was happening was i was trying to access the nas from my pc to look at a file, it was taking forever to load. the file was maybe 4-5 folders deep. i never made it to the folder. i rebooted my pc as well as the nas and here we are so many hours later and not gaining on it.

can you layout a plan of steps to do. what are my physical recovery options? are there services out there?

thank you

Noctris

Contributor
No worries. A couple of important questions:

Were the reboots hard or did you do a clean reboot from the shell?

You say you are getting errors from achich2 and then the next slot? You mean ahcich2 slot 11 port 1 etc ? ( be complete on this!)

Please post full hardware. Especially the controllers ( or motherboard sata ports) the disks are on.

How may disks, what case, motherboard, hba?

Going from there i can only see where the error might be.

I don't like to give false hope so NO GUARANTEE here in any way but the zpool import command without actual import shows the volume as online with both disks. This MIGHT be a good sign and MIGHT indicate disks and volume are ok, but controller / motherboard is toast. Again: MIGHY. No guarantees here. Do you have a spare computer somwhere around ? ( just checking)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Noctris

Contributor
I forgot: also, could you please post smartctl -a for both disks. This could clear up a lot.

Bidule0hm

Something happens, you just need to let the time to the command to complete.

And I agree with Noctris, hard rebooting is at best useless and at worst bad for the data. If you really need to cancel a command use Ctrl + C (but you shouldn't right now, just let the command continue).

And yep, full hardware list + smartctl -a for each drive should let us see a bit more clear what happens.

Noctris

Contributor
Side note: so @Bidule0hm is an insomniac 2 :)

3dmdlr

Dabbler
reboots were either using the freenas cmd choice #11 or using the keyboard attached to the nas computer and hitting ctl alt delete would shut down various services daemons etc and then reboot. i don't think i ever hit the button on the front of the computer.

here is my mobo specs https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/C60M1I/specifications/

2 hdd 3gig seagate constellation cs

set to mirrored raid 1 maybe i know they aren't striped i thought i was doing good by mirroring them to be able to recover

case is a coolmaster elite 120 http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx/elite-120-advanced/

16gig ram - i use onboard everything no controllers were added to the board

i have several computers and laptops online and ready to go with plenty of offload space to move the files off the nas if we get the chance to

just keep asking for info tell me what to do and how to do it and i will get you anything you need.

this pic is the errors i am now getting is:
20150618_194452-1024x768.jpg

Bidule0hm

Yes and no, it's just that I go to bed late and I wake up very late :P I prefer the calm of the night (and the better BW too...) :)

Ok, what about the outputs of smartctl? (in-between code tags please)

3dmdlr

Dabbler
can you show me how to enter it
this is what i get
[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -a
smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p5 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

ERROR: smartctl requires a device name as the final command-line argument.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

also, how do i post in between code tags? i am truly sorry for the extreme noobism

Noctris

Contributor
Hmm awesome. Amd. Secondly: whe. You mention raid1, i hope you mean zfs mirror and not raid through the motherboard controller.

Ok so yes. Smartctl output. You say you have other machines.

A couple of things i'd try:

1) shutdown ( clean!!! From gui or other) and disconnect 1. Disk. Boot and see if volume comes online.
If not
2) shutdown. ( again: clean) Reconnect disk 1, disconnect disk 2. Boot and see if volune comes online
If no
3) shutdown ( you know the drill by now: CLEN) find different machine, ( preferably as compatible as possible with freenas) disconnect all drives and connect the nas drives. Put the freenas boot usb in it too and boot it from the usb. See if the volume shows

The chance that both sata cables are broken is next to zero so i'll rule that out.

IF the volume comes online, try to get off as much as you can ( beware, if you havr to switch machines, changes are you need to reconfigure networking due to different network card)

Please try these things if zpool import fails. ( and a bit depending on smartctl output) i don't know for bidule but i have to leave it at that for now. It's 2 am local time and in 5 hours, it' the start of a new day :s if the import fails and bidule has nothing else, steps above will be worth trying. I'll check here in about 5 to 6 hours

Sent from my portable microwave

Bidule0hm

Use smartctl -a /dev/adaX (with X a number, should be 0 and 1 as you have two drives).

Use [_code_]the ouput[_/code_] (without the underscores) ;)

3dmdlr

Dabbler
i will try these things noctris and i truly appreciate you and Bidule0hm efforts to help. i will say that i too will be back at it tomorrow, out of town, so will have to get back at it tomorrow night. so if i am not active i will be and will appreciate you checking back in. i am an irresponsible noob paying the ultimate price for stupidity i am sure you've seen this 1000x thank you thank you.

Noctris

Contributor
You should check under storage, view disks to get the name. Then, run smartctl -a /dev/[diskname]

Example:

Smartctl -a /dev/ada0

Code tags can be found in the ui. If you can't find it, just post.

The 3tb i already suspected since it's 2015, not 1990 :)

Noctris

Contributor
Ok. I'll check tomorro. Do post smartctl , it gives us the status and possible errors on disk level...

Status
Not open for further replies.