help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Hi @all there,just a question.
I'm on zfs guru now but got some stability issue's and want to swap to freenas,cause it seems more stable to me.
I just wan to run sabnzbd,sickbeard,couchpotato and stuff like that and if possible an e-mail server ass well,that picks up my mails from provider saves it and accesible by freenas and send it trough to other adresses.
Is that possible with the new free nas?
And do i still have to make jails,search for pbi and then install them?
I just want an easy way to set this up cuas i'm not to bright to do everything i read about and just need easy setup or some really good guides in simple explanation.
I can follow directions if posted here.
I await your answeres to guide me through this process.
Thanks in advance.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Hi there ikkenjij36, so with the new FreeNAS 9.1 the plugins interface has been completely rebuilt. When you go to the plugins in the GUI there is a box at the top of the page with available plugins for installation. SabNZBD, SickBeard and CouchPotato are all in the list and have been ported over to 9.1. The biggest difference with the 9.1 Plugins and Jail is that each plugin runs in its own jail and therefore each plugin will have its own IP address so keep this in mind when setting up these plugins. I have all of them running just fine and they all talk to each other.

As for an email server with the FreeNAS, I have not seen a plugin available for that type of service.

For the step by step installation there are a lot of them available on the internet as well as the FreeNAS documentation itself. When I built mine out a few months ago I followed the guide posted here on lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/turn-an-old-computer-into-a-do-anything-home-server-wit-510023147

Then for the sab, sick and couch I followed this guide

http://lifehacker.com/5838169/how-t...o-an-internet-pvr-with-sabnzbd-and-sick-beard

Keep in mind that this is all for FreeNAS 8 but the overall process remains similar. You might also want to start with reading some of the sticky threads as well.

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Allright well thanks for youre answer and i will follow your guides next weekend and try to install everything,basic commands i can understand and follow but when it get's to complicated i get confused and give up.:oops:
Well first will look into the guides yoe tipped me and will come back next weekend how thing's are developping.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
There really isn't a reason during the install process to run commands. All of the setup is done through the webGUI for it.

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Allright so there is something new for me cause last time i tried it out it still hass to do with shell commands and so on.
So it should be easyer to set everything up for a new server then?
Is there also the possibility to install the plex server cause i really like the interface of that and how quickly it responds?

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
I know that for plex there is a plugin but its closed source and developed by the plex team (correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't know if its been ported over to 9.1 yet.

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Well that is just great to hear and will install it when i install freenas as well.
Just need some time to install and configure it all and see if freenas is more stable as zfsguru cause now some features don't start up or get screwed along the way and just want a reliable server for my home network so all of us in the family can watch and listen to all our files and enjoy all.
Jus t a small thing though,i also like to have autosub installed for my native(dutch)subtitles,is there a way to install this as well?

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Hi another question is it also possible to install a script to let the server go in hibernate on random times so i can let it run for instance in cheap electricity rates?
And als is there a possibilty then to have wol like if my mediaplayer wants to acces files when in hibernate it wakes up?
Thn again for your help.

nickwar

Cadet
is there anyway to add multiple plugins to a single jail. It's an advantage to have SABnznd, SickBeard & Couchpotato all on a single IP

Status
Not open for further replies.