Help finding a CPU Cooler

dollunit

Cadet
Hello all -- Noob here. Building my first dedicated TrueNas server and I'd done a lot of research, especially on these very helpful forums, and I thought I had everything figured out. I've been slowly purchasing my components. I got everything a few days ago and began to throw it together when I ran into a snag. My CPU cooler...it doesn't fit, or more accurately I can't secure it to my mobo. I went with the Supermicro X11SSH-F and an Intel Xeon E3-1245 V6. I went with a Noctua NH-L9i to cool it, in large part because this is going in a 2U chassis. I'd concluded it would work after reading this Supermicro X11SSH-F active cooling guidance thread. But, because my motherboard has an integrated CPU cooler backplate that puts threaded screw holes in the usual holes, it simply doesn't work--at least not with the included screws.

So, I would sure appreciate any ideas y'all have of making the NH-L9i work. Also open to other solid LGA 1151 cooler options that'll work in a 2U chassis.

MOBO: Supermicro X11SSH-F
CPU: INTEL XEON E3-1245 V6
CHASSIS: iStarUSA D-214
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-L9i
PSU: Seasonic Foxus GX-550

Thanks!

imvi

Dabbler
I was recently pointed to the overview here that shows you which coolers will work with the fixed backplate (and which wont, including the L9i)

dollunit

Cadet
I was recently pointed to the overview here that shows you which coolers will work with the fixed backplate (and which wont, including the L9i)
That is helpful...thanks!

trueJack

Dabbler
Noctua also has a way to search for compatibility by the motherboard vendor name and model. It will list all the Noctua coolers that are compatible.