Help find right photo app for scale.

canosgmk

Dabbler
Hello,

i went through countless googling and YouTube videos and can’t find anything that will fit my need/wants.

- we would like to ‘backup’ photos and videos from our iPhones automatically at ‘X’ time daily and manually upload photos from SSD cards.
- all photos and videos need to be non-compressed (photoprism compresses unless you pay $7 p/month)
- want to have albums and folders with in the albums. IE: album 2022, folder Italy, folder, Germany, folder Xmas, etc.
- able to access photos and videos and update off network. Meaning while on vacation.

i checked out photoprism, piwigo and zenphoto. Most of googling said to just buy the synology and use their software.
im sure I’ll have to use photosync in conjunction, but can’t seem to find an app that will fulfill my four needs.

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
The best answer might be Nextcloud. It isn't a Photos app as such, but it includes one, it includes mobile device sync (though it's generally at the time the photo is taken, or when you're back on Wi-Fi, rather than on a schedule), it stores files in whatever format they were uploaded (it doesn't manipulate or compress them), and you can organize them in any way you like. It doesn't really have the concept of "albums", though; you'd just put the image files in whatever directory structure works for you.

canosgmk

Dabbler
I just got nextcloud running correctly (took me 2 months), but learned one massive flaw with it. I have homes that I rent out and keep photos paired with inspection reports. When I put them in under ‘files’, they auto populate in photos. Was planning on turning the photo gallery off due to this, which is why I was hoping to find another option.

kiriak

Contributor
It is close to impossible to find an app that will do all these things you want and the way you want.
It is a matter of luck if your requirements will fit to an app's features.

I have experimented with many of them, including the Synology's photo app before I migrate from Synology to TrueNAS.

At present I use Digikam on my PC to organize my photos the way I want and store them on my TrueNAS Core NAS.
For viewing and browsing them for me and my family I use PiGallery2 running on Docker on another miniPC.
I used Nextcloud for a while for auto transferring my smartphone photos, I'm still looking for a replacement for this.

canosgmk

Dabbler
Just tested nextcloud again. It compresses the photos. My 12mb gets compressed to 4mb.

victort

Guru
I just got nextcloud running correctly (took me 2 months), but learned one massive flaw with it. I have homes that I rent out and keep photos paired with inspection reports. When I put them in under ‘files’, they auto populate in photos. Was planning on turning the photo gallery off due to this, which is why I was hoping to find another option.
You can select which folder the Nextcloud app uses to populate the photos.

Photo sync might be a good option. (Subscription)
Owl Files used to a good option but since they updated it’s now also subscription based, but you can buy the paid version called FE File Explorer Pro for 6 bucks that is excellent to backup to any network storage.

Remote Media Manager is also a great option. You can sync your photos to any network location. Free version only lets you add one location. Paid version is 3 or 4 bucks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just tested nextcloud again. It compresses the photos. My 12mb gets compressed to 4mb.
This doesn't make any sense to me. I put a file in Nextcloud, it's there unchanged, whether it's a photo or anything else.

canosgmk

Dabbler
This doesn't make any sense to me. I put a file in Nextcloud, it's there unchanged, whether it's a photo or anything else.
This might be an iPad or iPhone thing then. I’ll try again through the web browser and not the app.

kiriak

Contributor
My iPhone's photos were uploaded to Nextcloud folders (TN Core) uncompressed, at least until 2-3 months ago that I stopped using it

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Other available photo gallery apps (all available through TrueCharts) that you haven't said you've checked out, in no particular order:
  • Lychee
  • Pixapop
  • Darktable
  • Librephotos
  • Photoshow
  • immich
  • Photoview

victort

Guru
This might be an iPad or iPhone thing then. I’ll try again through the web browser and not the app.
I use an iPhone and have not seen anything get compressed.

There is an option called Most Compatible that you can try turning off in Nextcloud settings.

canosgmk

Dabbler
Proof of the compression.

I tired with compatibility mode off and on. I tired it through the app and then the web browser and got the same results every time. Also learned if you try to upload any file more then 1Gb, it errors and will not complete. Due to running in truecharts on truenas scale, I can’t just edit the config file as the google information said to keep the errors to pop up.

going to delete all the photos I tired last night and see about trying another app unless someone knows more about nextcloud. (Took me 10mins to find the spot on the browser to shut off compatible mode, the app it super easy to change settings)

btw. The heci is compatible mode off, jpg is on. Less compressed then compat off.

Attachments

• 6545A2A6-064F-447E-AA20-47F23B7B0240.jpeg
    6545A2A6-064F-447E-AA20-47F23B7B0240.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 822298D6-AF11-4A49-A5B7-2FDB8EA434AC.jpeg
    822298D6-AF11-4A49-A5B7-2FDB8EA434AC.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 217

danb35

Hall of Famer
I use the Github open source TrueChart application.
...and according to the page linked, that version has a limit of 150 MP. I can't imagine using images larger than that, nor can I understand how they enforce that in an open-source application, but that's what they say.

canosgmk

Dabbler
That’s not what I use, I don’t use an app on my phone or cloud based solution. I use the Github open source TrueChart application.
I’ll take a look at that then. Unsure is truenas Scale with truechart will work. Really hoping for the app idea cause my wife will not use it unless it is super easy….