Help Creating my First NAS For Music Production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey People, Hope you're all well and file,

Well before i get into the topic and explaining an wanna present my self as this is my first Topic, and i wanna explain why i'm doing This and for what purpose exactly...

Well i'm a Producer/Sound engineer, i make Music started with EDM in general, ended making Movie & Music Soundtracks, ended up making my own style using almost all styles i hear, (i listen to all genre of music because i believe that each genre and sub-genre has it's own style and story to tell...anyway) so i ended up mixing all kinda of ideas and all that stuff...

Well in order to Orchestral Music, i need a lot of Storage Capacities...

Was Using my Computer to Store all Kind of Music Related Programs and soundbanks, i was using more than 12TB in the same machine (and it wasn't enough) too many Hard drives, Internal 7 & External 3 to 4...

my machine because a little bit slow cause of all of those drives... lately i lost my 4TB Hard Drives along with more than 3TB of raw DATA, Projects Sound Banks and all that stuff... i'm in a "STOP" mode i can't make music i can't do anything, as almost all my essential Banks where lost with the drives...

(Just for you, i'm a kind of Nerd, i repair Computers all kind, i make Music and i do almost all kind of stuff related to informatics, so i tried Fixing the Disk, CHKDSK, HDD REGENERATOR, and even when i knew i lost the drives i tried wiping it trying to at least get the Drive Back, each time i add a folder or access to drive or past stuff in it data, more and more Sectors get's f*cked-up, so i lost hope after more than 3 weeks of trying & trying...)

anyway, buying a new HDD is really really expensive sometimes x2 to x3 the USD price, but i'm managing to make some real fast money off recording some rap/hip hop songs...

and here it comes the IDEA of making a N.A.S. another machine holding the DATA For me Connected via 1Gigabit Lan, out of the room for less noise from the Computer and, a really less weight on the computer it self, but it is not a matter of a just making any NAS, and connect it and just work...

maybe accessing normal samples, and stuff similar to that is OK, but the program i'm using well one of the programs, and the main one is called, KONTAKT, from Native Instruments, the problem with this program, is that the drive containing the Soundbanks must be physically connected, to the computer as Internal or either External, Impossible to load stuff from a shared Drive from the Network, as it doesn't see the drive in the first place, he can't see any of the Hard dives shared on the network (Hard Drives or Folders)...

So in order for me to proceed i first need to Confirm something from you Guys...

- I Don't really need to put the Drives on RAID or Anything...
- ALL kind of Hard Drives connected from the NAS, MUST be seen as a local drive...
- What kind of Machine i need to run my NAS, Ram, CPU...

PS : Please don't tell me to just go surf the web looking for answer regarding what i asked, i came here to get the real answers, so please forgive my ignorance, if i had anytime i would be searching but i just came to the Source to get talk with some nice people and get some Real Explanations...

Well, first of all Thank you for taking the time to read my thread, Second Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, and Thank you for whatever you're gonna do or say for me to help me achieve & complete my Plan.

Thank you,

Ben Hammouda Ale

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Welcome to the community.

- I Don't really need to put the Drives on RAID or Anything...
FreeNAS should not be used with any RAID configurations (0,1,5,10, etc)

- ALL kind of Hard Drives connected from the NAS, MUST be seen as a local drive...
You will need to look at iSCSI for this, and this opens up a whole new world at configuration needs

- What kind of Machine i need to run my NAS, Ram, CPU...
There is a reason we have a Hardware recommendation thread

PS : Please don't tell me to just go surf the web looking for answer regarding what i asked, i came here to get the real answers, so please forgive my ignorance, if i had anytime i would be searching but i just came to the Source to get talk with some nice people and get some Real Explanations...
While we won't tell you to go off and search the internet for everything, you are indeed encouraged to do your own research here in the forums, and post questions if you come across something that doesn't make sense to you, or concerns about a particular configuration.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I Don't really need to put the Drives on RAID or Anything...
I'm going to take exception to @pirateghost's response on this point. The use of any sort of hardware RAID controller with FreeNAS is strongly discouraged, but you didn't say anything about a RAID controller. The use of software RAID with FreeNAS is strongly encouraged, though by no means mandatory. FreeNAS uses the ZFS filesystem, which will guarantee your data is good if you give it enough redundancy. We assume that users care about their data, and the best way to protect it is in some sort of RAID arrangement. That also simplifies administration, because it pools all your drives together into a single volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.