Help Connecting Motherboard to Backplane

ionistarda

Cadet
Hi All, I'm new to the world of hardware and hoping for some guidance on an issue I'm having connecting my motherboard to the backplane. I've tried a couple different configurations but can't get the HDDs to show up in the BIOS. Components:
My first attempt was to just connect everything together since the motherboard has 2 SAS ports and 4 SATA ports, and the backplane has 4 SAS ports. So I hadd all of the ports connected on the motherboard and 3/4 of the ones on the backplane. Based on my reading this will not work though because even though the SAS<->SAS connection uses the same ports, the motherboard does not have an SAS controller, only SATA over SAS.

Then I tried only plugging in the reverse breakout cable but still nothing. Should that have at least gotten 4 of the drives to show up? (semi-related question that has been bothering me - how does the backplane know which 4 drives map to the 4 SATA connections through the breakout cable?)

My last attempt was to muck around in the BIOS settings and enable the "spin up" setting for I-SATA[0-3]. Unclear what that setting does and I can hear the drives spinning even with it disabled but with it turned on. I still don't see the drives in the BIOS but when I boot TrueNAS, it stuck with a repeating message (noperiph:achich11:0-1:ffffffff): rescan already queued. Based on some other threads I've found, this message means there is a hardware problem. Would this imply that there is something wrong with the cable/backplane/drives/something else? Or is it just that I should keep that setting disabled?

Do I just need an HBA to make this work? Or is there some other cabling config that would work? Am I just a noob for assuming that 12 ports on the motherboard + 12 bays in the chassis would be simple to connect?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do I just need an HBA to make this work?
Yes. Your motherboard has SAS ports, but not a true SAS controller behind them--it's only SATA. If you were using a -A backplane, that wouldn't be a problem, because those backplanes do the same thing--but the backplane you're using has a built-in SAS expander, and that means it needs a proper SAS controller to talk to it.

ionistarda

Cadet
Got the HBA today and realized it is x8 but the motherboard only has an x4 PCI slot. The HBA fits and I can see the 4 drives I've gotten already but will this cause problems down the line? I don't need super high bandwidth, just a large amount of storage.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This setup will just deliver less PCIe bandwidth than the HBA theoretically could. It will not pose a fundamental problem. You could look up the specs (Wikipedia) and check if they still outmatch your disk drives or not.