Help configuring FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakesh Gupta

Dabbler
Hi

I'm new to FreeNAS and and completely novice in this field.

Recently installed FreeNAS on one of my old Desktops in order to use Network Attached Devices.

I want to perform following tasks :

1. Want to assign a static IP
2. Do I need to setup DNS also ? If YES then how do I setup DNS and how do I assign gateway address ? How to find out Gateway Addresses ?
3. My primary system from where I'll be accessing FreeNAS server, will be Windows 10. How to configure FreeNAS so that as soon as I start my Windows10 system, it automatically detects and connects to Devices ?
4. What type of Partitions shall I opt for following :
A. For keeping my data, images, videos, movies and software installables ?

For above point A, I want my data to be safe and hav backup also and for remaining it is optional ?
Shall I select STRIPE form or Mirror option while creating Volumes ?

A quick help is required.

Regards

Rakesh Gupta

Dice

Wizard
Recently installed FreeNAS on one of my old Desktops
This is not recommended.
Read the hardware recommendations guide under the Resource tab (next to forums).

For above point A, I want my data to be safe and hav backup also and for remaining it is optional ?
You must read cyberjocks newbie guide. Link is in my signature. It will explain a lot of important concepts for you to make informed decisions.

Dice

Wizard

Rakesh Gupta

Dabbler
Hi

Thanks for the links. But looks like original PPT file has links to some animation to better understand.

Can you share link to PPT file also.

Dice

Wizard

j0hnby

Explorer
Basically Rakesh - you'll need to do yourself a load of reading and have a fiddle to find out how it all works - there is no one stop shop.

As a starter, to find the gateway and dns for your network, take a look at your Windows machine's IP config, it'll likely have both in there and the ones assigned via DHCP to it will be the same for your new FreeNAS system.

danb35

Hall of Famer
1. Want to assign a static IP
2. Do I need to setup DNS also ? If YES then how do I setup DNS and how do I assign gateway address ? How to find out Gateway Addresses ?
There are two ways you can set your FreeNAS server to have a static IP address. One is through your router, by assigning an IP address to your FreeNAS box. Every time your FreeNAS box requests an IP via DHCP, your router would then give it the assigned address, as well as gateway/DNS/subnet mask/all the other necessary parameters. The other option is to configure the static IP address on your server, and in that case you would need to tell it the gateway/DNS/subnet mask. The gateway would likely be your router's IP address. If you can't otherwise figure out a DNS server to use, you can use Google's public DNS server at 8.8.8.8.
How to configure FreeNAS so that as soon as I start my Windows10 system, it automatically detects and connects to Devices ?
That's a Windows configuration issue and has nothing to do with FreeNAS. You should be able to find information on the web about configuring Windows 10 to automatically connect to network shares.
Shall I select STRIPE form or Mirror option while creating Volumes ?
If you care about your data, you don't want striped disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.