Help an Aussie pick a quad port nic

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
After a quad port 1g nic. I know I need Intel but I dunno what one to get, to many to pick from. The reason I want one is so I can give TrueNAS, Plex and VMs there own port, currently all 3 running through the onboard, which is Realtek :eek:.

I'm looking at Newegg or eBay for them. Could buy new from Australia but I'd rather not spend $250 - $500 on one of these. I also want to order it in the next 48h.

Thanks.

JohnK

Patron
I use Intel i340-t4 and it works fine for my needs. Note that it is an older card and I'm sure there are newer and better cards available now.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
at Newegg or eBay for them. Could buy new from Australia but I'd rather not spend $250 - $500 on one of these.

Holy crap you can get a quad port 10 gig SFP+ card used on eBay for that.

Here in the US you can get cheap quad 1G cards for $19 on eBay. See for ex.

which I believe is an IBM-branded EXPI9404PTL card which is a 2007-era 82571 card that will pop up happy-daze under the emX driver. Downside is PCIe 1.0a, but for only doing 1GbE, ...

You can go with an i340 or i350 part, both of which are PCIe 2, but expect to pay about $30 for the i340 or closer to $60-$100 for the i350 with its virtualization-friendly features.

Best deal I'm seeing on eBay US is $28 for a HP NC375T.

I'm sure there are newer and better cards available now.

Not to be contrarian, but the server market for 1G multiport cards died years ago. I don't think Intel offers anything better than the i350, though I haven't looked lately, and I have this vague feeling I'm hanging a sign "Kick Me" on my butt.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I spent a little time cruising around eBay AU.

Given that I am not from your part of the world and only have limited experience, primarily once being criticized for monopolizing ~80% of the total Internet bandwidth to your continent (yes for real), I did notice this:

Which is an i340-t4 (PCIe 2.0) card for what here in the US would be about $24 USD.

I eyeballed the vendor with a mind towards my usual guidance on eBay --

and they're actually a vendor I've run across before, though being located in AU, I've never had occasion to use them. But I would feel secure buying from them.

JohnK

Patron
I'm not sure if this is still a problem, but at the time I bought mine, there were alot of "fake cards" flooding the market. Got a cheap one from ebay and have thrown it away years ago.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm not sure if this is still a problem, but at the time I bought mine, there were alot of "fake cards" flooding the market. Got a cheap one from ebay and have thrown it away years ago.

Yes, that's definitely a problem. That's why I gave a pointer to the Hardware Buying Guide, which talks about that more extensively, and why buying from a reputable server recycler is a very good idea. Interbyte has been around for ~20 years on eBay with a 99.4% positive feedback; if you look at the one negative feedback in the last year, it clearly reeks of "moron buyer" and the vendor clearly tried to follow up on it. Were they a US seller, I would feel confident in doing business with them. This does not make them exempt from fakes or other issues, but it is the difference between buying produce at the grocery store vs out of some beat up old van pulled over on the side of the road.

JohnK

Patron
I eyeballed the vendor with a mind towards my usual guidance on eBay --

and they're actually a vendor I've run across before, though being located in AU, I've never had occasion to use them. But I would feel secure buying from them.
too bad you didn't post this a few years ago! :wink:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
too bad you didn't post this a few years ago! :wink:

Honestly, I'm really sorry that I didn't. This is just one of those things where it never really struck me that this was a problem until I had posted bits of the article dozens or hundreds of times.

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Thanks. I did see ServeTheHomes post about fake I350-T4 cards. So I'm kinda careful now (although I'm pretty sure my HBA is fake, still works though lol).

Which is an i340-t4 (PCIe 2.0) card for what here in the US would be about $24 USD.

Looks good and I was actually going to buy it but then I noticed in the picture it shows a missing chip on the back and even though it says I340-T4 it also says "dual ports" and the model number 49Y4232 shows dual port cards. Seems like some stuff interbyte_au sell is mislabeled and lack of pictures is a bit annoying.

Searching for I340-T4 & I350-T4 comes up with a bunch of cards, most cards look genuine from what I can tell and a lot of the sellers have been on eBay for 15 - 20 years.

Is the I350 worth it over the I340 or are they basically the same?

When it comes to install is it just drop in and good to go or will I have to do drivers as well?

Thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"dual ports" and the model number 49Y4232 shows dual port cards.

My bad, sorry. There's a huge crapfest of part numbers from each of the usual suspects you have to look through when researching this stuff. Easy to get lost. :smile:

Is the I350 worth it over the I340 or are they basically the same?

The i350's main claim to fame is better support for virtualization. If you were ever going to virtualize with ESXi and use virtual functions, .. perhaps? I hesitate to say it is worth it though. You would be just fine without, unless you understood what I just said.

When it comes to install is it just drop in and good to go or will I have to do drivers as well?

I believe they both show up under the igb driver.

artlessknave

Wizard
speaking of fake cards, jgreco, you did get those ones I sent you right? did you ever get around to doing anything with them?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
speaking of fake cards, jgreco, you did get those ones I sent you right? did you ever get around to doing anything with them?

Mmm, was that... what, were those the two cards that arrived at the start of the pandemic? I've had several people send me cards, but one just turned out to be a crappy-looking-but-legit Dell card, one was just broken, one was actually fine and turned out to probably be the pin-B5/B6 taping issue, but my recall says someone sent two at one point, and I think it was this weird thing where I was out in Fremont in February 2020 and it felt like COVID was chasing me across the country on the drive back in early March. Got back to the office and we were in statewide lockdown for a month or two. My recollection is that the cards weren't particularly noteworthy and I was going to dig up some legit cards for direct comparisons under a microscope, but for some reason that was not possible at the time. That could mean that they're still sitting in a backlog pile somewhere. I should probably go look for them and see if I can figure out what the blocker was.

artlessknave

Wizard
I don't remember exactly but that sounds about right, I didn't bother asking since, y'know, covid, and it seemed like you werent as active on the forums schooling people so I figured you didn't have much time.
I replaced them with a 9305, and they helped me learn how not to ebay, but I was curious if they weren't working because I'm dumb, or because they are genuine fakes.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't remember exactly but that sounds about right, I didn't bother asking since, y'know, covid, and it seemed like you werent as active on the forums schooling people so I figured you didn't have much time.
I replaced them with a 9305, and they helped me learn how not to ebay, but I was curious if they weren't working because I'm dumb, or because they are genuine fakes.

So anyways I owe ya some commentary. And here it is. I also remember my problem now. I don't have any true 9240-8i's laying around for a direct comparison, but, looking at this more closely, I think we can make some reasonable conclusions.

The pictures are not great, but they don't need to be, IMO. I felt it sufficient to demonstrate... your two cards (farther back) vs a gen-u-ine IBM ServeRAID M1015 / LSI 9220-8i, and a similarly genuine LSI 9211-8i.

front.jpg

The first issue is the PCB material. It's lighter green and duller. The two SFF-8087 jacks, while they are labeled "Amphenol", the printing on them seems like it's a little different than the legit ones I looked at. But more importantly, the jacks themselves look cheap. They do not have the long exposed pins of the legit boards. Your boards are also not labeled "LSI", which seems really strange for a retail RAID card offering. The power inductors on the board (the silver or black parts labeled 6R8) look cheap on your board. And the silk screening, it just doesn't look ... sharp. Look at the LSI cards and the precise hi-def lettering.

brack.jpg

And the brackets. While superficially similar, including the stamped printing on the tab, several minor things. The LSI bracket is stamped "6Gbps SAS" with their little logo thingy, found all over their gear of that era. The other one, the finish isn't as shiny. This actually stood out to me when I went into the bin of LSI brackets. The hole placement of the presumed knockoff isn't as precise, and the holes are just a bit smaller. Airflow matters in servers. But this would not convince me all by itself, it's just circumstantially suspicious.

back.jpg

Stickers feel a bit off. No KCC compliance sticker. The SN: sticker barcode is "short" (not full height). It has "MR SAS 9240-8i" when most of the products of the time were labeled "SAS9240-8i". The SAS address on LSI cards is typically tan.

I suppose it's possible that they're legit cards, but in my experience, when all the little stuff doesn't add up, something's wrong.

I have on my Shelf of Shame a nice Intel PRO/1000 MT "DAUL" (sic) card of similar quality. You pick these things up and even if you deal with them on a semi-regular basis, there's nothing horribly alarming about them. The Dell PERC H200 and H310 look a lot more "fake" to me than these 9240's.

I have to see if I can do something a little more with this, but, I wanted to make sure I at least got around to it.

artlessknave

Wizard
mmm, that mostly agrees with what I saw. the reason I started looking was cuz the cards don't friggin work anymore. I think one would register drives itself but not present them to the OS, and the other might have just been dead. I got pissed off and replaced all of them with a new 9305-24i, which was an expensive but amazing solution to the problem...
at first I had just assumed they were old cards and finally failed...but later ran across posts about fakes here and a youtube channel showing the LSI cards (theartofserver) and how to spot fakes, and looked at mine and became REALLY suspicious about their origin...
the picture do not capture how too-shiny off-green I remember them being.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the legit LSI cards were a slightly darker green and not exactly "shiny" but sort of like a semi-gloss-paint kind of look to them. Your cards were a bit of a duller sheen, and slightly lighter green. If you look at the top side photo and look at the PCI connector in between your cards and mine, and you kinda "jump over" the PCI connector, you can see a slight color difference. It is almost that subtle in person. The other thing I should have mentioned was the heatsink orientation. Most of the cards here are Dell so they use the crappy Dell card and heatsink. However, the several different 9211/9240-like cards from LSI/IBM all have their heatsinks on 180 degrees opposite your cards.

It's really amazing how close these things are though.

artlessknave

Wizard
OH! i knew the heatsinks were different somehow but I didn't register that that was how.
I specifically said "t off-green I *remember*" for a reason. I remember them being shiny light green, but suspected that was a failure of memory.